Using Otari 5050 8 track with 388 mixer

mr.blisset

Hi everyone!

Couple of quick, basic questions.

Can I use an balanced XLR to 1/4" TRS multicore to connect my Otari 5050 8 tracker with the 8 channel on my 388's mixer? The Otari is unbalanced but uses XLR connectors. The tascam 388 is also unbalanced obviously.

Should be a simple hookup right? Go from the tape outs of the Otari 5050 into the Line Inputs of the 388 no?

Is there anything I should be wary of when interfacing these two together? I dont wanna break anything!

Thanks

Otari machines default to having pin 3 hot, whereas most other equipment is pin 2 hot. The snag is that sometimes people mod them to be pin 2 hot. You'll need to establish whether XLR pin 2 or 3 is carrying the unbalanced signal and make sure your adaptor takes that into account, otherwise you'll not get anything coming into the TASCAM.

Yep. +1 to that ^^^.

But otherwise, yes, you surely can use the line inputs on the 388 mixing section to mix or monitor your Otari 8-track.

Also note that you will have a level mismatch, Tascam's 0VU line level is -10dB whilst the Otari's is +4dB. To get decent levels into the Otari you'll have to drive the outputs on the 388 mixer above their designed levels.

Hi everyone!

Couple of quick, basic questions.

Can I use an balanced XLR to 1/4" TRS multicore to connect my Otari 5050 8 tracker with the 8 channel on my 388's mixer? The Otari is unbalanced but uses XLR connectors. The tascam 388 is also unbalanced obviously.

Should be a simple hookup right? Go from the tape outs of the Otari 5050 into the Line Inputs of the 388 no?

Is there anything I should be wary of when interfacing these two together? I dont wanna break anything!

Thanks

So just out of curiosity...why are you using the Otari deck...did the tape deck portion of the 388 die on you...or you want better quality than what 1/4" 8-track can give you?

Thanks for all your input!

Chilljam, my understanding is that the input on the Otari is switchable between +4 and -8db? Perhaps I've misunderstood something here?

Miroslav, no nothing wrong my 388, its been super reliable and its transport etc is way better than clunky otari imo. 388 isn't as flat as doesn't go up as high but it's raw midrangey sound is it's charm. The otari is big, clear, open and yet still has that nonlinear tape warmth (for lack of a better word). Hiss is MUCH more manageable on the otari ofc. Both are excellent machines at what they do.

Back