Using condensers with tascam 424

jonn

Hey, I recently brought a Tascam 424iii to record drums at my bands practice space. As the 424 doesn't have phantom power am I right in thinking that I will have to use an external pre-amp? I've been looking at a few and am pretty keen on the ART tube MP.
My question is- how do I connect the 2 condensers to the pre and then onto the 4 track? Will both mics go onto one track or will I be able to keep them seperate?

Any help would me much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

You will have to use a pre amp with a condenser mic while using the 424.
I also have a 424mkII and I also have a ART tube MP.I have used this with a condenser which works great.But....you can only plug one mic into the Tube MP.You would have to have 2 pre's if you want to use 2 mics.Unless you get a preamp with two inputs.
Being as the ART isn't too expensive you could get 2.It's always handy to another.
To connect to your 4track....pretty simple,mic into pre input,output of pre into tascam.
The ART has 1/4" ins and outs and also XLR ins/outs.
I would opt for the XLR connections.

Just to be 100% correct, you don't need a preamp; you need a source of phantom power.

True, many preamps provide phantom power and would serve for what you are trying to do, but there are also stand-alone phantom power supplies.

So, you could use a stand-alone phantom power supply and still use the preamps in your Tascam 424 III...

+1 bdenton, all you really need is a 48v phantom power device. I have a 4-channel Peavey unit that works great. I've used it to run condensers to a 424 no prob (we also have an old AKG 48v supply but it has its good hair days and bad hair days). You could also use an outboard preamp with its build-in 48v, in which case you will be running the external preamp's line output to a line in on the 424 rather than the 424's own mic pre (remember, your external pre has already done the job of bringing your mic level up to line level). Most external preamps aren't summed so you'll have one pre per channel.

The 424 mkII has some pretty good built-in preamps, just no phantom power. For about $20/input, you can get a few single phantom power units.

Thanks so much for the info- very helpful. Think I'm going to get a Tube MP as from what I've read, they seem like a pretty good deal for all round use. Can anyone recommend some decent phantom power sources?

Thanks,

Jon

The TubeMP has phantom power built in, so I would think it would be redundant to get a standalone 48v supply, but to answer your question, I like my four channel Peavey unit just fine...I think it's a PS4.

Back