Urgent Advice With Analog Tape Copying Needed!

janek

Hi all

I'm an old user back after a few years, and need some urgent advice. I was given the sad task of taping my mother in law's funeral service last week - a very sudden death, and the family really want copies of the tape. I managed to find an sm58, ran it through a 6 channel mixer into a reasonably good tape recorder, and taped onto a tdk d90 I think - it was the only tape at hand. The service was several very quiet eulogies and an a-cappella song, and of course I couldn't demand that all the very distressed speakers speak up and the space was quite boomy so I couldn't risk feedback through upping the microphone level too much. I adjusted the recording levels as much as possible during the service but as I sitting up front with the family I couldn't move around too much, so some of the input levels are lower than I would have liked - some people's whispering just made it into the white, and certainly not into the red....

What I need advice on now is:

Although the tape wasn't recorded on my 4-track, are there any benefits in either playing the tape on my four track or running a line out of another tape recorder into the four track, and then one out of the four track into the tape duplicating recorder, so that I can use the mixing of the four track rather than the rather poor mixing available on my tape duplicator (it's a TASCAM 4 track in case that helps)

Any tips on lifting the levels for the voices that are a bit low - the only thing I can think of so far is to just keep mixing the voices while duplicating a new master of the tape, as if I was in a live situation

What would be the best sort of tapes to copy onto (I was thinkingTDK SAX, which is apparently very good for clarity and low noise output - but is that pointless seeing as the original tape is only pretty basic)

Anything anyone could offer would be just great - I really want to get this right, and don't want to send the tape off for outside duplication just in case something happens to it...

cheers,

jane

The kind of recovery and/or enhancement you want to do is exactly the kinds of services mastering houses and some studios are equipped to handle...
If the tape is that critical, you should have it handled by a pro - if you give an indication of how valuable the tape is, it will be treated with care. (Actually, it will be treated with care by ANY pro anyways!)

I suggest looking in your area.... studios optimize what's on the tape and provide you a copy from which you can then do duplication. They may possibly be able to handle small duplication runs themselves....

If you can't find someone local, my studio can certainly provide the services.

Bruce

Last edited:
janek, I do this kind of thing as well. Are you in the states? I'd be glad to offer my services.

I guess it's cool. My wife and I just did the funeral thing. She lost her stepmom last week. The family had a dude there to take pictures. He kinda ran around and was clicking away at different views. I not sure about this. IMO, pictures, videos, audio, at funerals?
I can see it now. Have some friends over and when there is a lull in the conversation, show them the pictures on the mantel. Then throw in the video tape, and listen to the audio thru your monitor speakers. Cool evening.
I'm not being disrespectful here. But come on. IMO.
dtb

thanks for your ideas all...

I'm more reassured by the idea of sending it outside for a better copy - thanks to all - unfortunately I'm in Australia otherwise I'd be sending it on to one of you for help :-)

And yeah, I must say the idea of audio taping a funeral was a bit weird to me too but those people who couldn't get to the funeral seem very comforted by the thought that there will be a tape available. Everyone grieves in their own way.

cheers,

Jane

Back