The ultimate in analog

bachelorb

Cowboy Chord Virtuoso
Well we bought a new house and we were out scrounging for furniture and I ran across this....

IMG_0556.JPG

I thought it would make a cool nightstand and bought it for $35. I finally noticed this when I got it home.

IMG_0557.JPG

Now I'm wondering what it would take to get it going. It doesn't look all that tough

IMG_0558.JPG

Stay tuned.... :)

You can probably still pick up a Lone Ranger broadcast with that. :D

Clean it up...if the tubes are still good, power it up.
If it's shot...well...it's up to you how much effort and time you want to put into that...maybe just clean it, refinish it, and leave it as a nightstand.

Turn it into a guitar amp!
:D

Edit: tubes may be good, but i bet the caps are shot.

Yeah old stuff has some funny deterioration

Someone brought me an early revox cassette dictating machine. High quality probably the state of the art at the time.

They wanted to test it out and put a cassette into it.

I said no, the rubber goes bad.
The pinch roller 'looked' perfect. Round with no visible deterioration.

I simply touched it with my fingertip, and it was like stepping on gum on a hot july sidewalk!

Black goo that took 10 minutes to clean off my finger. :D

Yeah, old stuff doesn't always hold up well.

I never knew these old radios had phonographs in em. I am thinking about trying it. The old wiring is cause for concern, but I just might.

I have been thinking about buying a couple of more around the same price and putting some monitors in them for in em. I might be getting a studio type theme

A pair on stands with some good monitors in them would be super cool.

People come over and ask what kind of monitors are those???
"They are a secret, proprietary design. Quit asking questions and just listen"
:D

Any idea when this dates from? And does the turntable have a speed selector? If not, I'd assume it's 78rpm only. If so, I'd avoid testing that bit unless you actually have some 78s since the stylus is liable to chew up microgroove records.

Be damn careful with those things. Notice they don't have a polarized mains plug with no ground (at least in the US). One side of the line is chassis ground. if you have the plug in one way the "line" of your mains is on the chassis. If you happen to touch the chassis while working on it as well as something grounded you will get a major shock.

Be damn careful with those things. Notice they don't have a polarized mains plug with no ground (at least in the US). One side of the line is chassis ground. if you have the plug in one way the "line" of your mains is on the chassis. If you happen to touch the chassis while working on it as well as something grounded you will get a major shock.

Thanks for that.... The monitor idea is sounding better all the time...

Any idea when this dates from? And does the turntable have a speed selector? If not, I'd assume it's 78rpm only. If so, I'd avoid testing that bit unless you actually have some 78s since the stylus is liable to chew up microgroove records.

I don't know the year, but there isn't a speed control. Good thoughts. there really isn't a reason to restore this is there???.....

Back