Uher 8000 Project

bachelorb

Cowboy Chord Virtuoso
Well, things are starting to settle down here a bit and I thought I'd pull out one of my Goodwill finds and see if I can get it working...... an Uher 8000 that I bought for $25 a little over a year ago.
IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_2366.JPG

Plugged it in and absolutely nothing happened, so I decided to start taking it apart. What a mess!!! I do believe it was a single family mouse dwelling for a few years.

IMG_2367.JPG

Cleaning out the mouse house, I discovered what I was afraid of. For some reason, mice love wire insulation. Now on the farm, I've had to rewire equipment that the mice get into over the winter. I don't think this is enough to deter me. I'm hoping its as simple as tracing the wires and replacing them.

IMG_2372.JPG

This though..... might be the deal breaker....

IMG_2361.JPG

Are the tape heads too bad off to get em back? This is something I have no expertise on and would like y'alls opinion.

Thanks,
Brad

Sweet digs for the mouse! :)

Those heads certainly look crapped out, but have you at least tried to clean them yet to see if any of that comes off?

Whoa, Brad...neat deck...looks like a *project* though.

Really hard to tell with the heads. What he ^^^^ said. Try to clean them up and let's have another look. Can't tell if they are rusty or if it's just stuff on them.

I'm thinking the heads may be rusty. Here's a pic of them "clean"

IMG_2378.JPG

What came off them was orangey looking....

IMG_2374.JPG

The wiring will be a little daunting, but I think I can handle it. I'm really worried if the heads can be saved. If not, I'll toss it and chalk it up to experience......

Whatdayathink??

Thanks,
Brad

Ditch the cotton swabs. Get some decent quality 100% cotton makeup remover pads, like the quilty round kind. Don't get the cheapt ones. Get one fairly saturated with at least 91% iso alcohol and gently scrub. It's really hard to tell from the pics. You need to get closer and get better light in there and take a couple more pics after using the makeup remover pad. Surface oxidation is okay. Pitting is not. You may need to get a jewler's loupe and a good flashlight to see if there is pitting. No pitting? They'll do their job even though they look ugly.

Hello, just got my own Uher 8000 (or Royal 782/784, depending who you ask), and it needs belt replacement. Is it hard to do? How do you pry open the motor side?

Hello, just got my own Uher 8000 (or Royal 782/784, depending who you ask), and it needs belt replacement. Is it hard to do? How do you pry open the motor side?

Really it’s just 4 screws, and take off the tape head covers. The three belts I changed didn’t need anything else removed. Super easy!

Back