Type II cassettes

Buskerjohn

Hi ,

Does anyone have any idea where it is possible to purchase decent quality type II cassettes in bulk?
The only place I can seem to find Maxell XL II's or TDK SA's is on ebay for ridiculous prices for lots of 1 or 2.

Im not married to the idea of it being either of those brands as long as it is decent quality usable for four track cassette recording.

Any direction on this would be greatly appreciated.

I just talked to a guy at musicians friend, and he said that they have discontinued the TDK cassettes, and will no longer carry them. I just ordered me 4 boxes!

I have some of the SM60's as well as XL-II's...the TDK's sound great but I still prefer the Maxells...no objective reason why. You'll be happy with either. The TDK's are good.

I have read that TDK SA (60 or 90) is really good for recording with tascam 488 that I just bought on ebay few days ago.. now I got me 10 cassettes for 25 euro in german ebay. Is that overpriced? 25 euro is around 32 dollars.

That's actually pretty reasonable at $3.20 per tape, assuming the shipping costs weren't outrageously high. They're typically about $5 per tape.

Edit:

Mine were Maxell XLIIs, actually. I have a line on some cheap SAs, but I'm gonna stock up before I announce it on here. :laughings:

Last edited:
I have read that TDK SA (60 or 90) is really good for recording with tascam 488 that I just bought on ebay few days ago.. now I got me 10 cassettes for 25 euro in german ebay. Is that overpriced? 25 euro is around 32 dollars.
I've used 97% TDK SAs on my 488 for 18 years and I've never had a problem. They last for absolutely years, too, in general. The price you've got yours for is pretty reasonable too

I used the TDK's when I had a 4 Track and loved them.
Personally I never used cassettes longer than 60 Minutes.
I knew of people who had problems with 90's that they occasionally jammed...so I didn't take any chances.
Of all the brands I used I liked the Maxell UDXLII's the best, and I also liked the SONY's too.
But you cannot go wrong with TDK.

YouTube - Up Above My Head

I have some of the SM60's as well as XL-II's...the TDK's sound great but I still prefer the Maxells...no objective reason why. You'll be happy with either. The TDK's are good.

Actually, there may be an objective reason- I recall, back in the day, buying Maxell XL-II's for the first time and recording onto them. I found the saturation level to be noticably higher on them- I could turn the recording gain (then we mis-named it "volume) and the tape not distort.

Back