two questions from a guy who doesn't know much( but he knows he loves youuu)

rockness

ok lately I've been thinking about analog compressors and how little I know about them. My main console is a quarter inch tascam reel to reel 8 track and it's pretty good but I run it compressorless(mostly out of financial concerns as I'm just a college student trying to record stupid songs on off time) but I was wondering, what are the "Standard" analog compressor units and how much do they typically run? I may be coming into some money soon, maybe enough to buy one if I play my cards right.

ALSO...

I may be in the market for a nice analog reverb unit, one of the expensive ones in the 2,000 dollar range or thereabouts. What are the best names and titles for those as well? I'm a newbie when it comes to both as I havn't even begun thinking of either until recently. thank you.

larry

I can smell the digital demons on the horizon...to come here and ruin your perfect analog dreams...just a word of advice...DO NOT GIVE IN! I'm wondering this also.

Maybe do some research and pick up some used really good ones, yamaha? whatever was, is top of the line in analog
and save alot of money.

For analogue compressor I would recommend UREI 1176 or LA4 or Drawmer 1960 or a Valley People compressor, for a reverb try an EMT gold foil plate or build yourself a chamber out of a large concrete water tank.
Cheers
:cool:

I got to use a Gold foil again recently and wow I'd forgotten how good they sound - talk about smooth!! The water tank is pretty simple - get a tank, one or two speakers and one or two mikes. Put them in the tank and feed your aux sends to the speakers and pick it back up thru the mikes - pure chamber sound. Throw in a couple of mattresses if the delay is too long.
Cheers
:D

Back