TSR* Pinch Roller Cost

technoplayer

Recovering Gear-aholic
I've got a line on a nice TSR-8, but the guy says its got a sticky pinch roller. He may discount the machine by the cost of a replacement, sooooo....

What do they cost? On EBAY they are like $65 which probably is robbery.
Without me calling Tascam, anybody got a budgetary price?

Thx

Its been a few years but I think it was like 36.00.

Yeah, that's about right. I bought a couple last year and it was around that cost. I got it straight from TEAC Canada. It does pay to buy straight from TASCAM as they're usually cheaper than the thieves on eBay.

Yeah, Tacam replied back that yhey are $36 shipped, but are on backorder. Does anyone have any experience if that means they may actually get some or if the backorder will turn into never??

And why would anyone buy these from Terrys if they are half the price at Tascam??

Although I cannot verify, the word is that Terry uses better quality chemicals for the rubber and the end product is superior, although, again, I can't verify.

I personally think that there's nothing wrong with what TASCAM sells and I would always opt to buy from them first, unless they didn't have it on hand.

Unfortunately people often assume things and never bother to check with TASCAM, end up spending more than they should.

Yeah, I too would like to know what "back-order" really means. They seem to have been "back-ordered" since last year.

You can ask Tascam and they will know if the back-order will turn into never which I'd be very surprised if that was the case. They can tell by the dates in the system if it is an indefinite back-order or a legitemate back-order...at a certain point they turn the indefinites into "discontinued" and if they are not sure if an item is on that track or not they can call the factory in Japan and ask. I went through this trying to get connectors for the power umbilical on my M-520. You just have to ask them to check, but, again, I'd be pretty suprised.

Terry has tests on his site showing reduced flutter over stock on one of his pinch rollers vs. OEM. Maybe YMMV? But I get the impression he is meticuluous with his craft and I'm impressed at how well he can recreate even the craziest of ribbed tach rollers and such. On the flip side I bought an OEM roller for my 58 and I'm completely happy with it at less than half the cost of a Terry roller...I think Terry is really the guy to go to if your roller has been discontinued, or if you really want the best of the best, but I think the OEM units do the job very well.

Back