TSR-8 Calibration Issue?

sherm_jonathan

Hello,
This is the next installment of my coming of age in an analog world... Anyways, when I record onto a track on my TSR-8, the next track over meters almost as much sound. This happens when the level is low and, more naturally I suppose, high. Is this a calibration issue? If so, what's the cheapest and easiest way of fixing this issue and/or calibrating the machine? Thank you

Hello,
This is the next installment of my coming of age in an analog world... Anyways, when I record onto a track on my TSR-8, the next track over meters almost as much sound. This happens when the level is low and, more naturally I suppose, high. Is this a calibration issue? If so, what's the cheapest and easiest way of fixing this issue and/or calibrating the machine? Thank you

Cross talk in the meter circuit is common on narrow track machines. See what happens when you play back before getting too nuts about it. Put signal in one channel, put it and it's adjacent channels in record, & roll tape. See how much gets printed on those adjacent tracks. There will be some, probably but it should be nowhere near what the meters indicate.

It's normal on the TSR-8 and doesn't actually record anything to the adjacent tracks. It only happens when nothing is being recorded to the adjacent tracks through their respective inputs..

For example, if you are recording only to track 2, you will see the bar graph light up on tracks 1&3, but if you are recording on tracks 1&3 at the same time the bar graph meters will be accurate... no worries. The effect is less obvious with dbx engaged. You have to turn dbx on, as it's not engaged by default. But anyway, it is normal for those machines and is nothing to be concerned about.

Mine does the same thing.

:)

Back