Trick to allow 3.75ips on a 7.5/15ips Revox B77MK2 ?

Hi,

I just wanted to know whether there is a way to allow the 3.75ips (9.5cm/s) speed on my Revox B77MK2, which only does 7.5 and 15. It's a 2-track machine, so it's only meant to play old mono tapes recorded on both side and transfer them in a single pass.

Any hints ?

Thanks,

David.

If you want to transfer the tapes to digital, just record in digital twice the frequence and after pass the tape, just divide the frequence by two and you'll get a perfect natural speed result.

If you want to transfer the tapes to other R2R, just play the tapes at 7.5 ips and record them to the highest speed of the destination deck. Once the tape is copied, you'll be able to play the tape setting the slow speed in the destination deck.

so it's only meant to play old mono tapes recorded on both side and transfer them in a single pass.

No. Its a half-track format, designed to record and playback stereo using the whole width of the tape. That's the professioinal format, and not compatible with domestic mono or stereo track formats.

You CAN get it down to 3.75 IPS by changing 2 capacitors on the speed control board. But the 3.75ips version used a different capstan motor, so don't expect a modified high speed version to achieve the same wow/flutter as the factory-made low speed version.

You will also need to adjust the equalization of the deck if you change to a speed other than the machine was built for. I dont have my PR99M manuals handy, but I recall a calibration of the eq is possible, although i am not certain if it is just to re-cal the machine of if it will allow you to shange speeds entirely. Might be different eq boards??

Back