Transferring cassettes to cpu then cdrs

msmales555

I would like to transfer my cassette recordings done with my Tascam portastudio MKII to CDRs. I have been trying to transfer them on to my cpu using either sound recorder or sound forge, but i end up with a lot of hiss that isnt on the tape to begin with. I need to find a way that I can avoid losing sound quality. I have a pair of RCA outputs and a 1/4" phones jack output on my recorder and I have a 1/8" input on my cpu. Im assuming that is a mono imput (should i record through the line in or the mic jack?) Is there a good way to transfer my cassettes to my cpu? or do i need to invest in a cd recorder?

Thanks so very much for any help offered!

Dump to Soundforge, than use a noise reduction and maximizer plugins to compensate for hiss and level.

Connections

msmales555 said:
I have a pair of RCA outputs and a 1/4" phones jack output on my recorder and I have a 1/8" input on my cpu. Im assuming that is a mono imput (should i record through the line in or the mic jack?) Is there a good way to transfer my cassettes to my cpu?

Use a 2x RCA male to 3.5mm stereo jack cable (should be available anywhere) and connect the RCA out of your recorder to the Line In on your soundcard. You need to make sure the levels etc are ok in the recording mixer - there's a tutorial from the main page which explains how to do this.

For basic 2 track recording there's a great little package called Acoustica (www.aconas.com) which will let you get the hang of it (from memory its a 30 day trial). No multiband compressors or such things but a good place to start.

Hope this helps! (and hope the diehard analogue people don't hate me too much for talking digital in this forum!)

Cya
Andrew

Back