Transferring analog to digital...???

VESSEL2020

Somewhere in Space
Alright,
I should have posted this in the computer recording threads,..
But, I want the opinion of my fellow analog home recordists / engineers.

Everything I record is pretty much recorded on cassette, or R2R 1/2 inch tape.
My whole catalog of music made by me, is on these formats, with the exception of a couple handfuls of MD Data discs recorded on a 564...and a couple handfuls of DATS, and ADATS.

What I want to know is,...
How most of you guys transfer your tape to the computer?
Do you burn to disc, and then upload from there?.. or send the tape straight into an interface, into the computer?

Does this make a difference sonicly?

Anyone have any opinions on this?
Maybe a stupid simple question,..but I have alot of people asking me to upload my music into the computer, and I just get aggrevated with the whole process. I would much rather, stay in the analog world,...but unfortunately,
by todays standards...it's almost manditory...to get the music out to people wanting to hear it.

I have a very hard time tryin' to bring myself to do this.
I do have a pretty "low end" interface, a Tascam US-122, which has rca inputs, 2 -1/4 inch inputs, 2 -xlr mic inputs, and 2 - 1/4 inch inserts.

Like to get some feedback on this, if anyone is willing.

P.S.-
By the way,...everthing is mixed OTB...with minimal mastering. (which means I donot spend a whole lot of time on it - mastering)
Throw it in my Alesis Masterlink,..compress and limit.

I go straight through an interface, but if I had a Masterlink I might be using that. Nothing wrong with a US-122.

How'd you like the 564?

I go straight through an interface, but if I had a Masterlink I might be using that. Nothing wrong with a US-122.

How'd you like the 564?

Thanks for your input Sweetbeats!
That's how I've done it before, with the Masterlink.
I was just wondering if it really made a difference in quality.
I mean, I know if the mix is crap, ...the mix is crap.
But as far as the transfer,..I didn't know if it really does make any difference.
It is a peculiar question. I'm just very over-analytic about stuff.

Yes,..I love the 564,..as a matter of fact, I have 2.
They do surprisingly well at "live" recordings, and direct.
I can take one of my 564's over to the practice spot for a band practice
recording,...and win everytime~!
The 564 has never let me down,..yet.
It is a very sensitive machine though.
When exposed to high decibels,..it tends to shut itself off, well,..not power off,... but, stop recording.
I found this out, when one of my guitarists decided to crank his 120 watt amp to 8-9, just for the hell of it.:spank:
Also, the drive transport for the MD DATA disc is not built very well.
You have to be careful when importing a new disc.
This is why you may see them for a very cheap price sometimes on ebay.
Alot people probably get suckered too. Tascam definitely skimped on the transport. Another thing to watch for, is...You must always eject the disc before turning the machine off because it can tend to get stuck in the transport.
Other than those couple setbacks,...I highly recommend one to anyone interested. But,..definitely wait to find one that was hardly used at all.
Trying to obtain the MD Data discs can be a pain in the arse too.
Though there are a few audio companies out there that still carry them,..they command crazy prices for 'em.
It's worth it though, cuz..you can record on an MD data disc several times, without any noticable audio loss.
I've got a stock pile of 'em, when I saw someone auctioning off a 564 with over 55 md data discs...and noone else was placing a bid.
A definite score for $75.00 shipping included.:D
That is how I obtained my second unit,..and it felt and looked like it came right from Tascam. Knobs and faders weren't even broken in.
I did own a faulty 564 that I purchased locally a couple years back...and that
is how I've run across the above mentioned problems.
I didn't really do my homework before purchasing...:spank:

Back