Transferring 8 track reel to digital and dbx issues

send me one too

Do you just need to feel the love, Bob? You know how to bake a tape! LOL :) I'm just trying to follow the rules of the forum by not conducting business or advertising services in the forums. Or maybe you're not kidding?

But yeah, I can bake tape for anyone and you can bet it will be a job well done! Any size tape on any size reel up 14-inch. (Job well done... get it? Baking well done? It was supposed to be funny) :)

Re the baking process, I would suggest that rather than trying to do it yourself, that you find an organisation or someone who has had considerable experience doing this --- you only have one bite of the cherry !!!!!

Not true. Tapes can be baked more than once. I've had to do it when clients have sent me baked tapes to be transferred that wouldn't play by the time I received them.

+1 to that ^^^^^^

Tapes can be baked over and over again.
[MENTION=133442]omiimiish[/MENTION], unfortunately, Beck is no longer a member here for several years now I believe.

TSR-8 will work as long as the tape was not recorded on a 80-8, a predecessor of the 38/48/58/TSR-8. Track spacing is different so you would have crosstalk and/or reduced levels on some tracks.

TSR-8 will work as long as the tape was not recorded on a 80-8, a predecessor of the 38/48/58/TSR-8. Track spacing is different so you would have crosstalk and/or reduced levels on some tracks.

Are you sure about that? TASCAM set the 1/2" 8 track width standard and the last thing they would deliberately do is change it in mid-stream.

The 80-8 was a Teac product built in the 70s'- first 8 track 1/2" machine AFAIK. That was back when there were two different part numbers for the Sync and Repo heads- the part numbers were actually hand written on the top of the heads. The 38/48/58 all use the same PN for both Sync and Repo. Long story short- I worked at Tascam in L.A. for 25 years, and that's what the Japanese engineers told us in Service. :)

The 80-8 was a Teac product built in the 70s'- first 8 track 1/2" machine AFAIK. That was back when there were two different part numbers for the Sync and Repo heads- the part numbers were actually hand written on the top of the heads. The 38/48/58 all use the same PN for both Sync and Repo. Long story short- I worked at Tascam in L.A. for 25 years, and that's what the Japanese engineers told us in Service. :)

The 1st 1/2" 8 track was the 70-8H. It did have different record/sync & repro heads. (Freq. response on the 70 series was limited & only usable for overdubbing.) I recorded on the prototype and an early production model. From the 80-8 onward, sync & repro responses were the same because the heads were the same. the part #'s might have been different but that's because the heads used for repro didn't pass qc for both record and sync playback. Track width is no different between any of these machines.

I ran the TASCAM studio out of my house in Pasadena from 1979 until they closed the program in 1964 and was friends with the engineering & marketing staffs. In addition, Dr. Abe, the senior Japanese designer/engineer was a personal friend.

This aligns with what I was told when replacing the heads in my Teac 80-8. He was the only Tascam approved tech in Australia for all their equipment from about mid-80s.

He placed the heads in my 80-8 with Tascam 38 heads but said they were not the same and wouldn't be compatible with previous recordings I had done on the machine.

This aligns with what I was told when replacing the heads in my Teac 80-8. He was the only Tascam approved tech in Australia for all their equipment from about mid-80s.

He placed the heads in my 80-8 with Tascam 38 heads but said they were not the same and wouldn't be compatible with previous recordings I had done on the machine.

What happened when you played old tapes on the new heads?

Never had old tapes, bought the machine with worn heads and replaced them before I recorded anything.

Assuming proper alignment, tapes made on any TASCAM 1/2" 8 track will play fine on any other model. They did not mess with the track width. It would have been foolish to do so.

The 70-8 preceded the 80-8. The 70-8 was the very first 1/2” 8-track.

I thought the track width on the 80-8 heads was the same as all the 1/2” 8-track machines that followed...the gap width was what was different...no?

The 70-8 preceded the 80-8. The 70-8 was the very first 1/2” 8-track.

I thought the track width on the 80-8 heads was the same as all the 1/2” 8-track machines that followed...the gap width was what was different...no?

That makes more sense and is probably the case.

Yeah, I forgot about the 70 series machines. I haven't done any research, but as I said, Japan said the track spacing was different. We used to get some questionable responses from Teac Japan that we figured were evasion tactics filtered through management, because sometimes we would ask questions they had no answer for, and they could/would not admit they didn't know- that old "saving face thing" I have a 70-8 head and some 38 heads, so I'll see if there is a way to quantify the difference.

Back