Transferring 4-track Cassette Mix To iPhone via RCA out

MrSK

Hi, all— new to the forum. Long time listener, first time caller.

Was hoping someone could advise me on how to transfer the RCA out signal from my 424mkiii to my iPhone 11 and capture it as .wav (or even MP3) file. Wondering what adaptors I might need, etc. I’ve already successfully transferred a digital multitrack mix from my phone onto my 4-track (I’d recorded 6 tracks on a friend’s Spire device, and wanted to keep working on it on my 424mkiii, so transferred the mix from my iPhone via a lightning-to-1/8”-to-RCA chain—it worked, but I don’t recommend the Spire). Now I basically want to do that backwards, just with the finished mix on my 4-track, instead of mixing down to a regular stereo cassette or into my laptop.

I need to do it with my iPhone because my laptop is not serviceable at the moment and I’d like to be able to do it with my iPhone, just not sure how. Anyone have any experience?

Thanks!

P.S. I want to use my iPhone (and whatever iPhone software is recommended) as the mastering recorder. I don’t intend to do additional recording or mixing on it. Just need to convert the stereo output from my 4-track to WAV or MP3.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not an Apple user, so I'm not sure what jack the IP 11 has, but I found this:

Apple Composite AV Cable MC748ZM/A B&H Photo Video

I think since the iPhone 11 got rid of the headphone jack (which I think you could use before ... maybe?), it got a little more complicated. (Why the hell did they do that again?)

Anyway, I'm sure there's a way to do it. You might want to also post this in the "Recording to tablets/smart phones" forum.

Good luck!

(Why the hell did they do that again?)

It was an odd development of the phone, but I believe there is a good reason for it, and it is the same reason why you can't replace batteries these days.

Apparently the risk of losing a phone through a battery that won't recharge is way less than the risk of ruining a phone through it getting wet, i.e. dropped into the swimming pool, dropped into the toilet, left out in the rain and so on.

So having non-replaceable batteries allows for waterproof cases, as does the single multi-purpose socket.

Interestingly, being non-replaceable, the batteries can be constructed with a soft skin, which makes them lighter and flexible.

Sadly, the single socket means you can't, say, listen to music while your phone is on a charger (which is what I occasionally do when driving).

and it is the same reason why you can't replace batteries these days.

I didn't even know you couldn't do that. Shows how much I know! :)

Sadly, the single socket means you can't, say, listen to music while your phone is on a charger

This was the very first thing I thought of when I heard that Apple did that. I've heard from someone that you can do it, but you need an extra adapter for it. Not being an Apple user, I don't know if that's actually true or not, though.

Back