Toto, we're not in digital anymore!

nate_dennis

I just thought I'd share a funny story with you all . . . but be warned; there is no advice or meaningful wisdom in here at all.

I finally was able to pull out my "new" TASCAM 488 mkII last night and start working with it. Since the piece I was working on is going to be just some acoustics and vocals I decided to record a click track straight onto the tape rather than mess with SMPTE and such. I ran my guitar mic onto track one, my vocal mic to track two, and my click track to track three. As I was getting ready to start reworking parts over my scratch tracks I decided that putting the click on track three was not the best move, cause I like to have "like items" together as much as possible. (I'm sure this doesn't really matter but I have stupid idiosycracies like that, I suppose.) So i just thought "I'll just copy track three over to track eight and delete track three." Then it dawned on me "THIS ISN'T DIGITAL, YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!!" I though it was kind of funny. Anyway, does anyone else have any funny "transition" stories?

PS As soon as I'm done recording this piece I'll post it if any of you want to hear my first foray into analog recording.

...does anyone else have any funny "transition" stories?
Huh! I know exactly what you are talking about. Those "moment of brain confusion" are pretty funny. Hard to describe in words, you gotta experience them :D
I often work extensively switching back and forward from software-based-design to actual pieces and bolts, and when working on real things those "signals/commands" copy , paste, save and my favorite - UNDO! :mad: :D heh heh heh are being mysteriously triggered inside of inflated brain-cells networks from time to time, more often so when I am tired and work on "autopilot", sort of speak :D

since it was just a click track I was too concerned with generation loss. I know I could have bounced it over, but it was more just the idea that my immediate response was to use "delete" and such. I've been spoon fed easy solutions (though bouncing is by no means hard) and short cuts for my whole life and, now that I've chosen to go the opposite direction, I have to retrain my brain that these CNTRL+ALT+DEL solutions no longer apply. I just thought it was funny.

Decades ago my first computer was one of the original Apple Macintoshes. It was my first exposure the wonderful world of UNDO. I remember working on a drafting project, scribing an incorrect line and mentally jumping to where to find the UNDO button... :D

That is funny. :D

Since I started in analog (1978) my perspective is so different, I like hearing stories of people going from digital to analog for the first time. I try to imagine myself coming from that direction and it can really spin my head around. I still look at digital as something I've added to my analog studio. ;)

I find the different perspectives interesting and educational.

All the best in your analog journey. You'll find it takes some getting used to, but can add pleasing qualities to your sound that you can't get any other way. It's well worth it.

:)

I don't have any stories, funny or otherwise, but...

I have a 488mkII!............:eek:;)

When applicable, I'll usually place hand percussion or "click" track on track 8, while "scoping" track 1 for kick drum and track 2 for OH drum mic,... typically track 3 for rhythm guitar, track 4 for bass, track 5 for keyboard (or second guitar) and track 6 for lead guitar (or second keyboard) and/or B/U vocals. Track 7,... usually lead vocal.

Does that show an inherent need for order, possibly bordering on OCD?:eek:;)

Naaaaww! Having a "standard" or simple organizational plan of the tracks that's held consistently over time really aids convenience and predictability in later playback and mixdown of the material, tape after tape for many years henceforth. Or so I think. YMMV. Which is not to say that over 25+ years I've always recorded tracks the same way, at all, but it's either be organized up front or keep individual track sheets and detailed notes, which I've typically not done. I have more unlabelled "mystery" tapes of program material than you can shake a stick at! 'Nuff said.

Have fun with the 488mkII! Help me find the Undo button??:eek:;)

Attachments

• 1-Tascam 488mkIIc.jpg
    1-Tascam 488mkIIc.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Maybe I'm the only one here, or one of the few, who got into recording in the past couple of years using analog technology exclusively.

I've always had friends who did analog recording, and it seems like I had almost no friends who did digital. My old band recorded a single on a TASCAM 16-track 1" machine at a friend's studio, and other friends were making demos on their cassette four-tracks. It made more sense to me at the time than the digital way of doing things, so this is what I gravitated to when I began recording.

I wonder how many people are out there, who are getting into analog recording without any experience in the digital domain.

When I first started using reel to reel I would constantly move the cursor back n forth across the timeline in cubase when I wanted to play somethign back!

-Barrett

I find that I typically don't use markers and locators in digital software unless required for mixdowns (like to mark start and end points for the mixdown).

Scrubbing in a DAW is never as satisfying as scrubbing on an open reel deck.

Random thoughts.

Back