Topaz Project Users - How do you use your Groups/Busses?

rorohello

Any Soundtracs Topaz users here?

If so, I'd like to start a thread on how you all are using your Groups/Busses

I also have a specific question related to how you bring signal on the Groups sums to the L-R Main mix. Manual says:"Left/Right Buttons are used to send the Group to either or both of the mix "A" left or right busses for sub grouping of channels and monitors within the mix"

What the heck is "mix A" -- is this another way of saying the L-R Main mix? Why would they change it here if so? Super confusing.

I want to assign top/bottom snare mics to Group 1, send them to a single compressor for processing via the Group 1 Insert, then patch back into L-R mix.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 9.56.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 9.56.51 PM.png
    166.6 KB · Views: 11
Yes I think "Mix A" is just the main L-R buss, and you assign the group to the main mix by latching the L-R buttons.

I don't have a Soundtracs Topaz, so I have to answer in more general terms, but...do the group busses have inserts on them? If so then just assign both snare mics to one group, PAN knobs set as needed to isolate to one group, then patch in your compressor to that group's insert points, then latch both the L and R buttons to get the group to both sides of the main mix. From a picture I see it looks like the individual groups don't have PAN knobs? So with the above instructions the snare will be in the center of the mix. If you want to place the snare elsewhere in the stereo mix, then you'll have to assign the mics to two groups and set the placement in the stereo field on the channel strip using the channel PAN controls, and then you'll need a stereo compressor inserted on the two groups, and one group would only have the L button latched, and the other would have the R button latched.

So is this for live FOH applications? If you are recording, then just assign to one group, latch both L and R buttons on the group to monitor in mono off the main mix, then use the group output to send the summed mics to one track of your recorder, and then deal with the stereo field placement when it comes time to mixdown.

Sorry if this is confusing or if I'm off-base with my suggestions...like I said I don't have a Topaz, never used one or seen one, and came up with my advice after looking at a pic of the control surface for a few minutes...never read the manual to that one.

Soundstracs Topaz Project 8 allows you to mixdown with monitor channels in addition to your main mix. Press the control section monitor mix MERGE button & adjust the level pot to add your monitor input mix to the main mix.

The channel inputs can be sent to L/R Main Mix or the groups 1-8. The groups 1-8 can be sent to the main mix left & right channels.

So you've got 48 for a 24/8/2 desk & 64 total inputs for a 32/8/2 desk mixdown when you merge the monitor mix with the main mix. That's not including aux returns.

"I want to assign top/bottom snare mics to Group 1, send them to a single compressor for processing via the Group 1 Insert, then patch back into L-R mix."

Pan both your channel signals to maximum left, engage the group 1-2 button, engage both left & right buttons on the group output 1. Insert the compressor on the insert channel.

It might be better to use a stereo compressor if you have one available on the group output 1-2 (left right) inserts then pan & send your snare kick, toms, hi-hats & maybe the room mic / L-R overheads for compression?

Back