Topaz Project 8 and Stereo Effects

rorohello

Hello,

I'm having trouble with stereo sends/returns on my Topaz Project 8. I have a Korg SDD-3000 (pedal version) and a Lexicon PCM 90 that I would like to connect. I can get the SDD to get input using Auxs 3 and 4, but when I return them (I'm using FX 3 and 4) I only hear the effect on the Left channel. Panning them kills the effect.

I'd like to start by trying to understand what I'm doing wrong here. Then ask about how to set up the Lexicon.

I had one of these desks in the late 90s, lovely beast. Have you tried returning the effects into the channel strip, so you can double check if the effects are actually sending back what you think they are? For some reason, I can remember doing this way of returns on my desk - but I cannot remember why?

Re: the board. Yes, it's a fine thing. I'm very fond if what it does to signal already, and happy to live with quirks.

Re: further research I've done: apparently the FX returns are TRS stereo. I haven't had time yet with Mother's Day tasks piling up, but today or tomorrow I will 1) Test the signal out from SDD pedal to channel strips 2) Try using an insert cable (?) to return to one FX return

Thread on Gearslutz Stereo FX return on Soundtracs console - Gearslutz

Final Q: Would an insert cable even be the right cable? Or do I need to get something wired differently?

You'd think there would be more info out there about this. I guess there aren't too many of these boards in regular use...

An insert cable is working bringing two mono sends back from the SDD-3000 pedal as a stereo effect to one FX return on the Topaz.

Does anyone know if the PCM 90 is a true stereo effect? Or should I just apply reverb in mono?

Does anyone know if the PCM 90 is a true stereo effect? Or should I just apply reverb in mono?

It doesn't matter if it's "true" stereo, if the output is stereo at all then it's nice to bring it into the console as stereo. True stereo usually means that panning on the input has some effect on the output. Even if that's not the case you're still getting a stereo effect, it's just not sensitive to input panning.

Back