Today's show is brought to you by the letter "M" for ....Mono...>

jedblue

beep beep beep beep beep
Last night we did another live to 1/4" inch two track, two tune recording at Goose for our next Lonely Few cassingle. Today it was time to ah, well, erm, "master" probably isn't quite the right word for it...

The Revox is playback, the desk is merging to mono, the Otari is 15ips tape delay, and in the racks there's a spring reverb, parametric, BBE, 3 band limiter and a denoiser. Then it's the Nagra IV as the final deck. 1/4" full track mono at 7 1/2 ips for a bit of hiss and grit.

MasteringStreetRacer.jpg

Splice out the dud master attempts...

TapeSplicing.jpg

And there's a spliced up clean master ready to dub off the cassettes. Ah, tomorrow, it's getting late here and I've been at this all day. I'll put it up on Soundclick when I've figured out some packaging for it.

StreetRacerDubMaster.jpg

What is this "in the box" thing they speak of and would it be useful? :confused:

Hey jed,
cool stuff you got going on there man. I see you have the same boss reverb as me. Mine is very noisy, I think it might be time to check it's insides. Is your noisy too?

Hey jed,
cool stuff you got going on there man. I see you have the same boss reverb as me. Mine is very noisy, I think it might be time to check it's insides. Is your noisy too?

Sort of Hermann, it depends on what you mean by noisy. It's not as clean as the digital one I've got but it's not that noisy to me? I only use input and output A, run the volume and reverb level close to maximum, have the switch to -20db and only send enough to it so that the peak light just lights up sometimes. Then I bring it back into a channel on the desk and gain it up to 0db on the meters when solo'd. The channel fader then controls how much reverb goes into the mix. It seems to work okay.

How've you got yours set up?

:)

Sort of Hermann, it depends on what you mean by noisy. It's not as clean as the digital one I've got but it's not that noisy to me? I only use input and output A, run the volume and reverb level close to maximum, have the switch to -20db and only send enough to it so that the peak light just lights up sometimes. Then I bring it back into a channel on the desk and gain it up to 0db on the meters when solo'd. The channel fader then controls how much reverb goes into the mix. It seems to work okay.

How've you got yours set up?

:)

Mm, ah thanks, man. I use it exactly the same way, only on -10db. I guess it has gotten worse over the last year or so. Time to fix it I'm afraid.

Back