The Time to buy a 2" 24 Track?

sr71rules

I'm noticing some local(ish) 24 track Otari's on ebay and wondering if now is the time to scoop one up...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200537363747&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230545574622&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'm not experienced enough to know from the auction pictures if the heads are on good shape or not but for something around $1500 it's tempting...

Anyone care to encourage or discourage a purchase? The crazy posting from Albany NY seems to come with some neat extras as well.. :eek:

no doubt it's the time, 1200 for that MX80 is incredible. If i lived nearby I would definitely get it. Go over there and check it out and make sure you get everything that is said. A 'brand new' 2 inch MRL tape is worth hundreds of dollars so make sure it really is brand new, same for the pinch roller etc.

Try out all the functions, make sure everything works, find out about it's history. The heads look excellent from the picture but it isn't exactly a 'close up' photo so it is difficult to tell. Go up there in person with a magnifying glass and check it out. If you don't know what to look for, get a head report done... an investment of $1200 odd will be useless if the heads are shot, 2" replacement heads will probably set you back the same as you are paying for the whole machine. Get a head report done, could go a long way (also handy when you go and sell it off again).

I'm noticing some local(ish) 24 track Otari's on ebay and wondering if now is the time to scoop one up...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200537363747&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Are you close enough to Albany, NY...'cuz he's not shipping that one. He doesn't even want to take the time to crate it and/or arrange shipping.
You have to pick it up...bring a truck and helpers….he won’t even help load it.

Get a head report done...

The auction ends today...not much chance of getting the heads looked at.

I saw that MX80 on eBay a few days ago...and while Albany, NY is not out of reach for me (about 2 hours)...I'm just wondering how deep I want to get into older tape gear anymore...???
It looks like a nice deck and a nice deal (assuming the heads have some decent life left in them) but it's no small task to go pick all that gear up, and then install it/marry it with your existing studio setup.
Just wondering if it's worth the time/effort and money?

Maybe if I was doing a commercial studio operation, but just for my own use....mmmmmmmmm.....it's a tough call. :(

Plus…some folks don’t think much of the MX80…others praise it….????

I hear what you're saying. It's a lot of money, and work just to keep it running.. and then tape.

I'm in the process of moving my studio to a new home and the core of the system is a 32 channel 68 input, Tascam M-3500 so I could certainly work with a big tape machine.. but do I really really want to do it...

Might life be simpler with an MSR-16?

Someone has bid on the item and will get it for $1200... perhaps I'll hold off. I need more time to think about this huge step and I don't want to regret it later. I will own a 16-24 track machine.. but that day may not be today.

Thx all!

Might life be simpler with an MSR-16?

I'm in a similar boat...not with an MSR-16...but the Fostex-G16....and I have a 24-channel M-3500. :)
Both the G16 and M-3500 were purchased new by me and very well maintained all these years.
On the digital side I have 24-channels of A/D/A capability and my DAW.

Right now, working primarily on my own stuff, I have to do two dumps from the G16 into my DAW. First dump are 12 tracks of drums (3 takes, 4 tracks each), 1 vocal/guitar scratch track and a click track.
Second dump I have up to 14 more tracks (I eventually lose the scratch) and again the click track. I think I've had to do a third dump maybe once or twice only.

So basically what I would gain with the 2" 24-track is a small improvement with sound quality thanks to the wider tracks on tape and maybe(?) one less dump to DAW (though I doubt it).

I mean...I would LOVE to have a 2" 24-track deck in my studio...but I'm not really recording bands where I need 24 tracks at once. Not to mention...for me to install and wire in the 24-track deck and included accessories would be quite a bit of work. Nothing real hard...but certainly time consuming.
Right now my studio is almost perfect…for my needs.

So yeah...that's what has me kinda' stuck AFA that MX80 in Albany is concerned....
...but it's not a bad deal for all the stuff he's including (assuming it stays right around $1200).

I bought an MX-80 last year for $1200, and picked it up in a rented cargo van. I replaced the pinch roller, several channel cards, the casters, some bearings, and even found a spare (used) headstack. I bought a MRL tape and an o-scope, and it took me a couple months to get this machine to spec. I found some NOS Quantegy 499 at $90 per reel and bought 16 reels!! It was all a lot of work but I now have my dream setup. I definitely recommend it, also the MX-80 is much smaller than a MTR-90. I wanted the MX-80 for the home studio from the beginning, I was just lucky enough to find it and fortunate enough to get it running! I couldn't have done it without everything I have learned on this site. The one thing I would make sure if you do plan to do it is that you get the MANUAL!!

Back