Are there really "new" tapes being manufactured?

Jzoha18

I've been trying out some ATR magnetics and some RMG 911 tape recently on my machines. And talking a lot with my tech. I'm becoming really skeptical of any of this reel to reel tape that I'm being sold as new is really new or if it's just old endspool tape from factories that have been gone for 20 years. is there any definite proof that those companies that are claiming to sell New reel to reel tape or actually manufacturing the tape from scratch? I'm not talking so much about the companies that claimed that their manufacturing new cassette tape as I know there are still some factories in China turning out some really shity ferric oxide tape. I know NAC inherited some old BASF spools as well which they have now run out of but I'm very skeptical based on what I'm getting from these companies. Anyone got any proof?

Of course...maybe it's just your machine.

Yes...ATR and RMGI *manufacture* new tape....been doing so for a bunch of years now, though RMGI has changed hands and their future a bit sketchy.
Most pros are using this stuff, and not skeptical about its source...especially the ATR tapes.

RTM Recording the Masters has taken over RMG & is now manufacturing tape in France. You can get SM911, SM900, SM458 & other tape formulas originally made by BASF, AGFA.

RecordingTheMasters - Professional Analog Audio Tapes

https://www.recordingthemasters.com...reseller-brochure-2019-IAQ-COM01-CLCOM-03.pdf

I was just saying to Sweetbeats that I wasn't sure if the RMGI manufacturing was had changed hands and back in biz with another new owner.
I kinda tried the RMGI tape several years back...and then lost touch with what was going on with them, though I know they changed hands a couple of times before, I believe.

TBH...I hope RTM has improved on what RMGI was doing with the old Basf/Emtec tapes. While the RMGI tape had the same formulations ...it just never seemed to be as good as the original Basf/Emtec stuff.

I have plenty of NOS early Basf and the later/newer Emtec branded tapes, both in the 911 and 468 formulations...and even my oldest Basf stock is IMO better than what RMGI was putting out, especially their early batches.
I just scored a bunch of NOS Emtec 2" reels (arriving tomorrow)...which I am very excited to be getting, since finding NOS original Basf/Emtec stock is pretty rare these days.
Maybe I'll pick up a reel of the RTM and see how it compares. I see now that Splicit sells the 2" reels of 911 for $312, which is cheaper than the ATR 2" at $345.

Thomann in Germany sells a small range of audio tape, so there must be some demand out there.

I bought some RTM911 a couple of years ago in both half and quarter inch widths which has been fine. I'm using one of the quarter inch reels fairly extensively as a general test tape when setting up machines.

I bought some RTM911 a couple of years ago in both half and quarter inch widths which has been fine. I'm using one of the quarter inch reels fairly extensively as a general test tape when setting up machines.

Glad to hear that.
I didn't mean to imply the RMGI stuff was "bad"...and I'm sure the RTM tapes are good...I was just saying that I could see a slight difference between my NOS Basf/Emtec and the RMGI...and now I'm curious how the RTM will compare. I hope it's as good...because then I'll know there is plenty of good new production 911 and 468. I'm hoping to start recording soon (just trying to finish the new studio)...and then I plan on doing a lot of recording, so it would be nice to know tape will never be an issue. :)

Back