Techno-Archeology: TimeLine Product Documentation and Upkeep

OK...I diced to get off my ass and start the process of acquiring the needed items to read/write EPROMs.
Plus I have all that great info jpmorris provided above.

I sent an email to MCUMall to see what they tell me...but I'm pretty sure I know what I need to get.

MCUmall Electronics Inc. A low cost EPROM EEPROM Atmel PIC I2C SPI programmer online store

Not sure when exactly all this will happen...but usually once I get motivated, I tend to stick to it until the task is done. :D
It's just that right now I'm still in studio construction mode...but this kinda works out, since I was planning to do a complete overhaul of my Otari MX-80 once it's moved into the new studio...so it will be a good time to also take care of the EPROM stuff.

Hey Thanks for a prompt reply miroslav.

I have carefully cleaned all eproms and connectors with alchohol without success. here goes:

The system unit LEDs on the front panel. The two LEDs under "system" marked data and valid both flash for a short while then go out. The LEDs under "keyboard", the data one flashes constantly with valid not lighting at all. All the rest stay out. There are 5 LEDs on the circuit board, All permanently light after a short sequence and a bit of clicking from the relays. As for the keyboard. This goes through its startup routine, dislaying the software version etc and then parks showing old timecode. I have done the system tests and all checks out good. Keys have been cleaned and function as I think they should. It does not allow me to select transport and the ref lock LED flashes no matter which reference I select. On pressing rcl and system should display all the software versions, all I get is the keyboard version 1.33. I am convinced there is little or no comms to the System unit. I am trying to use it with a Tascam MS16 (not a Otari MX-80 sulk) and a DAW. I have it resolved to a lynx 1 at present but I have to get midi through a Motu midi timepiece so not ideal. I have seen the GQ-4X4 myself and I thought it may detect corrupt code?.

Thanks for your time, ramsammy

[MENTION=94267]miroslav[/MENTION], [MENTION=31942]jpmorris[/MENTION], [MENTION=202237]ramsammy[/MENTION], et al. Good to see the thread continuing. Sorry I've been absent for so long, too much "life" getting in the way. I still have my Microlynx, and am intending to get back to copying my EPROMs, but this may take more time, as I never managed to afford the PROM burner - like I said- "life".

Hey Thanks for a prompt reply miroslav.

I have carefully cleaned all eproms and connectors with alchohol without success. here goes:

The system unit LEDs on the front panel. The two LEDs under "system" marked data and valid both flash for a short while then go out. The LEDs under "keyboard", the data one flashes constantly with valid not lighting at all. All the rest stay out. There are 5 LEDs on the circuit board, All permanently light after a short sequence and a bit of clicking from the relays. As for the keyboard. This goes through its startup routine, dislaying the software version etc and then parks showing old timecode. I have done the system tests and all checks out good. Keys have been cleaned and function as I think they should. It does not allow me to select transport and the ref lock LED flashes no matter which reference I select. On pressing rcl and system should display all the software versions, all I get is the keyboard version 1.33. I am convinced there is little or no comms to the System unit. I am trying to use it with a Tascam MS16 (not a Otari MX-80 sulk) and a DAW. I have it resolved to a lynx 1 at present but I have to get midi through a Motu midi timepiece so not ideal. I have seen the GQ-4X4 myself and I thought it may detect corrupt code?.

Thanks for your time, ramsammy

With nothing else connected except the keyboard to the main unit...the System and Keyboard LEDs should all remain on after that initial flash.
So yeah...sounds like you have something not right with main unit.

I'm sure you cleaned everything well...though TBH, I prefer to use a decent contact cleaner instead of alcohol, which can clean some things well, but if there is oxidation, it may not do as good a job. Also, good contact cleaner will leave a very thin coating, which enhances connectivity.
Check out the Caig Labs Deoxit D100L...it's 100% pure cleaner/enhancer, unlike the D5 which is only 5% and the rest if solvent...good for flushing away lots of crud, but it tends to dry out the contact. The D100L leaves a thin film...use very sparingly.

Anyway...I doubt better cleaning will change your results...I just thought I would mention that.

[MENTION=94267]miroslav[/MENTION], [MENTION=31942]jpmorris[/MENTION], [MENTION=202237]ramsammy[/MENTION], et al. Good to see the thread continuing. Sorry I've been absent for so long, too much "life" getting in the way. I still have my Microlynx, and am intending to get back to copying my EPROMs, but this may take more time, as I never managed to afford the PROM burner - like I said- "life".

OMG...didn't think you were ever coming back. :)

Don't explain...we all know about how "life" can get in the way of living.
Just look at the mess we're all in now days...though hopefully soon to ease up.

Just an update. There are 5 LEDs on the main circuit board. labelled: D17(CP),D18,D19(M1),D20,D21(M2) The M3 LED is on the front panel(optional) These each have 3 conditions: off, flashing and on. My interpretation is if the the LED is permanenty on, then all ok. If it is flashing then software issue. If it is off then hardware issue. I believe also that there are varying frequencies of flash depenent upon the fault. On my unit I get flashing of the D19(M1) occasionally and this is usually accompanied with a error on the keyboard of A00B. A0xx refers to machine 1 and I have not yet found out what the other two hex numbers mean. This can sometimes go away with a reboot. The System data and valid LEDs go out shortly afterwards. This must be a currupt eprom issue.

I bow to your expertise here gents.

Last edited:
Hi All, Has anyone any experience with a Keybaord Controller Unit for the old Lynx1/Lynx 2 ?. The KCU apparently has 3 versions of eproms, The K080, K300,K330,K600. The K300 allows its use with a System Supervisor Unit. I have a KCU with K080 eproms which I believe is for stand alone operation.
Can anyone shed any light?

Garry

Hi all, Finally got myself an eprom programmer and think I have solved my problem with the microlynx. On reading the code from the CP 1.35 eprom, a fault became evident that ground connection was failing. With this programmer it is possible to ignore the fault and do a forced read. This was successful and I have reprogrammed the eproms using ATM AT27C512-15 one time programmable ICs. I have just the small 8 pin eprom at U19 left to do. The SU and KCU are now up and running and driving my MS 16 well, and midi is driving my DAW. I have also upgraded an older and also faulty microlynx to the latest software I have.
Images I have are: CP 1.35, MC 1.34, 76E001 (for the third machine you will need MC 1.34 and 76608) Keyboard controller Unit: KBD 1.33.
Older unit: CP 1.23 MC 1.20
If someone can let me know how to upload these images I will do.

I have read articles here with respect to power supplies and I can say thet the 5v rail is voltage critical and nothing even slightly less than that is acceptable. I have measured current at 1.05 Amps which I believe is why Timeline suggest that you do not extend the supply cable. If you do extend the cable then the voltage at source must be increased to account for volt drop. Something to look out for if using third party power supplies.

Thanks ramsammy

Hi all, Finally got myself an eprom programmer and think I have solved my problem with the microlynx. On reading the code from the CP 1.35 eprom, a fault became evident that ground connection was failing. With this programmer it is possible to ignore the fault and do a forced read. This was successful and I have reprogrammed the eproms using ATM AT27C512-15 one time programmable ICs. I have just the small 8 pin eprom at U19 left to do. The SU and KCU are now up and running and driving my MS 16 well, and midi is driving my DAW. I have also upgraded an older and also faulty microlynx to the latest software I have.
Images I have are: CP 1.35, MC 1.34, 76E001 (for the third machine you will need MC 1.34 and 76608) Keyboard controller Unit: KBD 1.33.
Older unit: CP 1.23 MC 1.20
If someone can let me know how to upload these images I will do.

I have read articles here with respect to power supplies and I can say thet the 5v rail is voltage critical and nothing even slightly less than that is acceptable. I have measured current at 1.05 Amps which I believe is why Timeline suggest that you do not extend the supply cable. If you do extend the cable then the voltage at source must be increased to account for volt drop. Something to look out for if using third party power supplies.

Thanks ramsammy

Super cool!

Where did you get your programmer?
I tried putting in an email MCUMall about their programmer...and to see what I needed to get...but they never replied, and I kinda forgot about it.
I need to get back to it...as I want to also make some backups of the Microlynx and my Otari tape deck EPROM data.

Mmm...not sure where you can upload the data here....?
I seem to recall that the mods may have setup something for all the files earlier in this thread...just not sure if it's still available or where...?

If all else fails...maybe you can ZIP and email the files to me, and I will host them on my web service, and then provide links here.
If you go to my profile...my email is there.

its a Dataman 40 pro. If you download the software from thier website you can see all supported eproms etc. Very easy to use, There are cheaper programmers about but as I need to do all of my gear, something that would do the lot seemed worth it. I know the Eastern gear is cheaper but the manuals!!!. anyway, just going to get good at using it before I tackle my soundcraft DC 2000 as I think the proms are on the way out in that too. Will zip the images over tomorrow.

Ignore my PMs...you provided all the info above...and I don't have to upload them to my web server, folks can get them right here. :)

I wasn't sure this BBS would let you just attach them like that....sometimes certain file extensions get blocked.

Hi all, Hope this works.
These are recently copied eprom files from two microlynxes of different ages. CP1.23 and MC 1.20 are from an older unit. CP1.35 and MC1.34 are more recent. You will also need 76E001 for the 8 pin DIL eprom in U19. There is also an image from a Keyboard controller unit version 1.33

View attachment 106317View attachment 106318View attachment 106320View attachment 106321View attachment 106322View attachment 106319

Thanks

my microlynx don't work now. 3 years ago it work fine just for a album. for me tape work with a computer is mean you can use Melodyne :)

now my microlynx shows: transport A B C does not exist,also ACG card.
it have CP1.34 and MC 1.34. Can i burn a CP 1.35 replace my CP 1.34.
i can only find BIN for CP 1.35

THANKS everyone

I burn CP 1.35 MC 1.34 (Provided by ramsammy, thanks! ),and replace my eprom. then power on, the transport A B light flash!......but then off.
it still say transport A B C don't exist. maybe CP 1.34 is what i need? i can't find image for CP 1.34, maybe i have to read from mine...
8 pin DIL eprom in U19? i can't find that IC on the board... i need replace that IC ?

Thanks everyone

I burn CP 1.35 MC 1.34 (Provided by ramsammy, thanks! ),and replace my eprom. then power on, the transport A B light flash!......but then off.
it still say transport A B C don't exist. maybe CP 1.34 is what i need? i can't find image for CP 1.34, maybe i have to read from mine...
8 pin DIL eprom in U19? i can't find that IC on the board... i need replace that IC ?

Thanks everyone
Hi Zhou, both of my microlynx are working with CP 1.35 and one MC 1.34 for each machine to be synced. From this I can say that the two versions of code work together.
Have you checked the power supply? I had a similar problem with a low 5v rail.
ramsammy

Hi ra
Hi Zhou, both of my microlynx are working with CP 1.35 and one MC 1.34 for each machine to be synced. From this I can say that the two versions of code work together.
Have you checked the power supply? I had a similar problem with a low 5v rail.
ramsammy
Hi ramsammy, thanks! i'll check the power supply. and then update...

i check the pin out of the power supply, +5V /+12V/ -12V, is ok.
but the check points on the board +5V is just show 0.6V... and now every LED on the board not lighting, the same, LEDs on the front panel not lighting..

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated...

but the check points on the board +5V is just show 0.6V... and now every LED on the board not lighting, the same, LEDs on the front panel not lighting..

You may have a bad connection or something has failed and shorted the 5v rail out. I assume you checked the power supply at the din plug without it being connected to the lynx and 5v is ok, then plugged it in and measured the check points and its gone. Follow the connections through to the check point with a multimeter, look for fuses, bad connections ect. Then with the power supply unplugged, check resistance from line to ground for shorts. check for bad or leaking capacitors along the line. Maybe someone reading this may have a circuit diagram.

You may have a bad connection or something has failed and shorted the 5v rail out. I assume you checked the power supply at the din plug without it being connected to the lynx and 5v is ok, then plugged it in and measured the check points and its gone. Follow the connections through to the check point with a multimeter, look for fuses, bad connections ect. Then with the power supply unplugged, check resistance from line to ground for shorts. check for bad or leaking capacitors along the line. Maybe someone reading this may have a circuit diagram.
yes, i checked the power supply at the din plug without it being connected to the lynx and 5v is ok. then plugged it in and measured the check points and its gone.
I am not a technician(can only do basic measurements),but i'll find someone to check everything you mentioned,thanks ramsammy!
and yes a circuit diagram would be a great help!

Super cool!

Where did you get your programmer?
I tried putting in an email MCUMall about their programmer...and to see what I needed to get...but they never replied, and I kinda forgot about it.
I need to get back to it...as I want to also make some backups of the Microlynx and my Otari tape deck EPROM data.

Mmm...not sure where you can upload the data here....?
I seem to recall that the mods may have setup something for all the files earlier in this thread...just not sure if it's still available or where...?

If all else fails...maybe you can ZIP and email the files to me, and I will host them on my web service, and then provide links here.
If you go to my profile...my email is there.
Hey All,

Thanks for these very informative threads. Miroslav, if you don't mind, can you clarify which protocol you choose on your MicroLynx for your MX80? The only one that comes up on my transport menu is the MX70, on version 1.34.

I used the information re: cables to construct my own Microlynx to MX80 (OTARI Type A) cable, and it beeps out fine!

Of course now , I too am having the same problems as zhou, I get No Transport Available message, and I'm investigating a PROM burner for possible solution to this,

...and issues with another Otari remote, the CB-120B Autolocator. The remote display powers up and counts tape position properly when the reels are spun by hand, but locks up all transport commands so that the machine and the CB-124 transport buttons have no effect on the machine. Another PROM issue?

These old units are melting before our eyes... Thankfully my MX80 and CB-124 run on their own happily, however the allure of also having my MTR-10 join the band with ProTools and the MicroLynx is a distant dream for now :-)

Just thought I'd ask the pros in this thread if they have any sage advice. Thanks for reading!

remotes.jpg

Last edited:
Back