Teach a-4010s restoration advice

Jzoha18

Years ago my guitar instructor gave me this deck. It's a teac a-4010s. It needs some major love and a restoration. I pulled the head cover off to clean the heads and transport and take a look and I just need some advice. Are these heads gone? Are they too worn out to be worth fixing the deck?

Attachments

• IMG_20190505_214155.jpg
    IMG_20190505_214155.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20190505_214220.jpg
    IMG_20190505_214220.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
The zenith is off on the sync head which is why it has that trapezoidal wear pattern...reproduce head looks alright. The machine has had some mild sticky shed tape run on it at some point which is what’s responsible for the deposits across the entire tape path including the heads. I don’t see any severe wear on the heads, open gaps, etc. clean it up really good and try to calibrate. My hunch is it will still perform to spec. The sync head will meet a relatively early death with the zenith being off like that, but heads for that machine are likely not terribly expensive when the time comes. I wouldn’t jump to anything major...just clean it up and see how it does...my 2 pence.

Thank you! I'm going to try to get belts and try to learn how to do it with the service manual as I just paid my tech to rebelt my fostex R8 and don't feel like dropping another 150$

Back