Teac X20R.....geneology??

technoplayer

Recovering Gear-aholic
I picked a Teac X20R last night. Kind of a blind purchase, as i did not know exactly what the seller had except it was a Teac and had 10 1/2" reels. Figured that was going to make it a decent machine for no matter what model it was. For $30 with hubs and reels, I knew even if it was junk I wasn't getting screwed

Turned out to be an X-20-R in almost perfect cosmetic condition. This is a model I have not seen anything on. It kinda looks like an X-10. It is autoreverse and has built in DBX and something called ESS. I havent had the time to do more than a quick look over, but it seems to be a very nice machine...logic controlled, dual capstan, dbx, variable speed,etc.

If it tests out good, it could end up pushing some of my other machines to the ebay jungle.

Can anyone give me any history/ placement in the TEAC hierarchy of machines? Reliability? Etc?

Hey techno! :)

Here's some info on this deck (have a magnifier ready 'cause it's a bit hard to read).
http://reel2reeltexas.com/vinAd82Rec4.jpg

3 motors, DC capstan, 7 1/2 ips top speed, up to 24khz freq (and that's probably on the shy side), 10.5" reel capacity, 6 heads, built in dbx, price in '82 $2000CND (probably double that it todays money). What's not to like?;)

You can use it for live recordings, dubbing vinyl or echo. Pretty cool purchase. I'm jealous.:D

--

Thanks CJ.....ithe Teac sounds like a solid machine. I need to give it some attention this weekend.

(They were real proud of those Technics machines back then, werent they??)

I have had the fortune to run across some nice machines at giveaway prices over time. Then again, I am a bottom fisher, and won't (can't) pay, say, $500for a machine. For what I do, I don't mind a well built "home "machine, and TEac/Tascam machines are in general less fussy than say an Akai or a Sony.
Note I do not currently have an Akai or Sony, having sold off the half dozen or so I had. Not premier machines, even for home use IMO

Not likely. A lot of sellers locally ( the only way I will purchase a machine) seem to use ebay as the reference price, then want to mark up from there since "mine is better than that". My usual "score" is a seller who just wants to get rid of a vintage machine, perhaps one that he has actually never used and has no appreciation of. We on this board are in the vast minority when it comes to appreciating or even understanding the open reel format. For the general population, they are about as wanted as black and white TV's and dial telephones. Ive had a few machines given to me by people who didn't want to bother hauling them to the curb for the trashman. Go figure.

The guy who sold me the X-20 asked what I was going to do with it, like was I going to display it or what. He looked at me in disbelief when I told him I was actually going to use it.

Back