TEAC RC-70 remote OK for TASCAM 388 ??

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
I have a couple of TEAC RC-70 remotes (for my 3440's) and was wondering if it would be compatible and safe to use with my 388 as well ?

Thanks as always for your help!

Daniel :)

Daniel,

I'm pretty sure the only difference between the RC-70 and RC-71 is one is branded TEAC and the other Tascam. I know people use the RC-71 with the 3440. The control layout and proprietary 12-pin connector are the same.

If you want to be more than "pretty sure" maybe Ghost, Herm or ARP will be along to confirm.

-Tim :)

Here’s a quick test if you have a multimeter.

The pins on the RC-70 connector should be as follows if it's the same as the RC-71:

1 play
2 Fast Forward
3 Rewind
4 Stop
5 Pause
6 Record
7 No connection
8 Common (ground)
9 No connection
10, 11 & 12 for LEDs

If you connect your multimeter between pin 8 and any pin (1-6) you should have continuity when you press the corresponding button.

-Tim :)

Last edited:
I have no multimeter but thank you very much, Tim, for replying. The question popped up when I saw your auction for your RC-71 ... and then your list for possible machines where it could be used ... I actually never thought that the RC-70 (for my 3440) has so many possibilities! ;) Anyway, would I do any electronic damage if I were just to try out the remote on my 388 ?

Thanks again Tim!

Daniel

The safest way to check is to plug the remote in, but don't push any of the buttons on the remote yet. First try the record and pause buttons on the 388. The LEDs should light on the remote as well even though you aren't using the remote's buttons to engage. If the lights on the remote light according to the mode of the 388 I'd say you're good to go.

The other pins on the remote are just for normally-open momentary buttons, so you can't really hurt anything. The worst that could happen if it's not wired exactly the same is that certain buttons may have no affect or a button might engage a different mode than what the label says. I really don't think anything will start smoking. :)

Beck said:
The safest way to check is to plug the remote in, but don't push any of the buttons on the remote yet. First try the record and pause buttons on the 388. The LEDs should light on the remote as well even though you aren't using the remote's buttons to engage. If the lights on the remote light according to the mode of the 388 I'd say you're good to go.

I will try exactly that .. Thanks Tim. :)

Back