teac a2300sx r2r ?s

clevodrummer

Tascammer
HHmmmm....... Im a bit bummed re the sound quality I am getting with my trusty old 2300.

before the music starts on any recording, I am getting a sound off the tape similar to wind blowing through an outdoor mic.

once the music starts it stops, or at least it is inaudible. I have good clean heads, demagged, and its brand new tape (unopened for 15 years).

I have a teac AN80 dolby noise reduction and the noise comes with or without it in the chain.

I havent made up my mind if Im going to include the an80 in my recordings as although it definetly cleans hiss, it seems to muddy up the sound a bit. without it I get a bright sound, with it, its like I backed off the high frequencies and added some low end.

but the noise I am getting makes it to difficult to warrant using the 2300 over my 424 or my korgD888. I totally love the reel to reel and I am sad.

fried bacon...kind of

pretty much like fried bacon outside when the wind is blowing!! now I want to go camping...

but seriously, I am using Maxell UD 35-90 "for mastering use" tape.

It is old tape, but never opened....once the recorded music starts its fine.....if there is a rest between the song there is no noise at all. Its basically when the tape leads in while in record mode, but when recording starts, no noise....

It doesnt happen at the end of a song when there is no music, but in record mode.....

I thought dirty heads, but the heads are mint, the whole deck is mint...

thanks,

clevo

You welcome, take off the 2 bottom feet and panel, that will make easier access for the three controls.
On the 5 record mode/eq/monitor source switches, spray from the top + below inside each switch and engage a couple of times afterwards.
Let the deck sit like that for about 30 minutes before powering up again.
Good luck :)

Attachments

• DSCF0047.jpg
    DSCF0047.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF0049.jpg
    DSCF0049.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 25
Back