TEAC 80-8 stopped working

int0

Hello-

My Teac 80-8 was working great until the other day when all the motors decided to stop turning.

The unit turns on, but I can't Play/FF/RWD. I replaced all the fuses even though they seemed to be ok, to no avail.

When I lift the tensioner arm, the capstan does not start. Could this possibly be a faulty switch on the tensioner arm? Is there an easy way to test that? Or any other ideas/troubleshooting steps I can try?

Thanks for any help!

Do the brakes actuate, or the pinch roller or the lifters?

I’m asking because I believe those are driven by the same power rail as the motors, and the first step when having these kinds of problems is to check the power supply.

Do you have a multimeter and the service manual?

Nothing was actuating, so I started to suspect the switch on the tensioner arm. I removed it (there are actually 2 switches) and sure enough, they were broken. My son told me that a tape fell off while rewinding and that's when it stopped working. The tape must have hit the tensioner arm really hard and cracked the switches.

They should be easy enough to replace. However, there is another pieces that is broken, a "tensioner limiter". I am guessing I won't be able to find this for sale anywhere? It's Item 7 on the attached diagram.

tensioner1.pngtensioner2.png

Hi

Glad to see you found the problem. As far as the tension limiter I had the same problem and a friend of mine 3d printed me a couple of them, I still have one left if you need it.

PM me

Just an update, codycat4 was nice enough to send me the tension limiter he had (free of charge), and I was able to put it in with new switches and everything works great. Thanks codycat4!

Upon further inspection, I noticed one NAB was broken so it wasn't tightening down the reel all the way, which is probably why it fell off. I ordered a set of new NABs off eBay and everything is working great.

Hey folks,

I have exactly the same problem. The tension limiter on mine (item 7 in the list in service manual) is snapped. The machine came to me working electonically, all lights come on etc, but the transport non functional and no capstan movement. So i noticed that there was nothing going on with the floppy free swinging right hand tension arm, so investigated behind and hey presto, the same snapped tension limiter, the small oddly shaped triangular black plastic bit. Also as i unscrewed the switching block type sandwhich layers, a little orange plastic bit fell out, its a small bit like a little flat topped plug with a short shaft with a rounded ending.

Any idea of the measurements that were used for the 3d printing of the snapped tension limiter? there doesn't seem to be exact measurments in the service manual for this piece, and one of the snapped off pieces is, alas, missing............

I believe I'm having the same issue, so thanks for this. Another question though, how did you guys access this thing? Is there any way to get the front plate off, or do you have to go through the rear?

Also int0, how did you determine the switches were bad? Mine appear to be intact but I'm not sure if there are wires that have come unsoldered, etc.

Back