TEAC 80-8/Scotch 206 shedding?

Sound like the OP has heads that have a groove worn in them if he's getting "shed flying down on to the machine, and piling up quickly". His tape lifters also may not be working correctly if he hears it in his headphones. If his worn heads are the cause of the shedding then he risks tape edge damage-track 1 and 8 and the tape skewing in and out of the groove causing fading audio on the edge tracks. Re- lapping can fix that- no amount of new tape will fix it. How badly are the heads worn? Can you feel a lip at the edges of the tape width groove worn in the heads? If his machine was "serviced by Teac",it was done over 6 years ago,because there has been no service at Teac- all service is outsourced- since Gibson bought them in 2013. As long as the Op is doing his own recording. it's fine if he fiddles around with his machine,but a paying client won't tolerate it.

Thank you for this post, this is the kind of dialogue I was hoping for.

Update. We fixed the issue in 10 minutes and were still using old stock tape, albeit a different tape. Same issue occurred with the other tape until we fixed the problem. PM me if you want the details. I don't feel the need to post on the forum anymore after this since Im being personally attacked at this point by someone who thinks I'm "stupider" for continuing to disagree with them, and miroslav cant comprehend that he advised me to buy "other" NOS tape besides 206/207 some years ago since it's so rare (I wonder why) and I couldn't source it, and now he's telling me to buy new tape now that I have it, and avoid anything that wasn't made recently. I guess when the new tape started having the same issue he would have suggested dumping my perfectly good machine and buying another one :rolleyes: as if the people on the analog forums didnt actively buy up and use old tape all these years successfully. Not all of us have a money tree we can go out and shake any time something goes wrong.

Last edited:

Update. We fixed the issue in 10 minutes and were still using old stock tape, albeit a different tape. Same issue occurred with the other tape until we fixed the problem. PM me if you want the details. I don't feel the need to post on the forum anymore after this since Im being personally attacked at this point by someone who thinks I'm "stupider" for continuing to disagree with them, and miroslav cant comprehend that he advised me to buy "other" NOS tape besides 206/207 some years ago since it's so rare (I wonder why) and I couldn't source it, and now he's telling me to buy new tape now that I have it, and avoid anything that wasn't made recently. I guess when the new tape started having the same issue he would have suggested dumping my perfectly good machine and buying another one :rolleyes: as if the people on the analog forums didnt actively buy up and use old tape all these years successfully. Not all of us have a money tree we can go out and shake any time something goes wrong.

You're the one who seems to have some comprehension problems...both some years ago, and again now.

I'll still tell you to buy something other than 206/207 (obviously you didn't or won't read the info in all the links I posted) because it's going to crap out on you...
...oh wait, it already did....and now you went to a "different tape" to "fix" your problem.
How many reels of 206 did you buy...? :)

I only suggested you buy a reel of new production tape to use as a reference point so you can see if it is the tape or the deck that is the problem.
Instead, you're monkeying around with tape tension...or some other "fix" you found on some website.
You can't "fix" shedding tape...and if you're deck was recently serviced, then there shouldn't be anything that needs to be fixed on the deck.

You came to a public forum to ask for help and advice...but then when you say you "fixed" your tape shedding problem, you won't post the details, probably because it's something wonky that you don't want to say publicly.
AFA needing a "money tree" to buy a reel of tape... :rolleyes: ...I didn't think a reel of new tape was going break your budget. When you buy up a bunch of bad "NOS" tape, well...that's a total waste of money.

For reference...here's the old thread about your NOS 206. I'm still not seeing who was "shitting" on you...?
You were just being unrealistic about finding retail bulk sources for NOS 206 tape.
Seems like everyone in the thread was telling you the same thing...in a very straightforward way.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...206-1-2-2500-a-376565/?highlight=#post4286894

Last edited:
You're the one who seems to have some comprehension problems...both some years ago, and again now.

I'll still tell you to buy something other than 206/207 (obviously you didn't or won't read the info in all the links I posted) because it's going to crap out on you...
...oh wait, it already did....and now you went to a "different tape" to "fix" your problem.
How many reels of 206 did you buy...? :)

I only suggested you buy a reel of new production tape to use as a reference point so you can see if it is the tape or the deck that is the problem.
Instead, you're monkeying around with tape tension...or some other "fix" you found on some website.
You can't "fix" shedding tape...and if you're deck was recently serviced, then there shouldn't be anything that needs to be fixed on the deck.

You came to a public forum to ask for help and advice...but then when you say you "fixed" your tape shedding problem, you won't post the details, probably because it's something wonky that you don't want to say publicly.
AFA needing a "money tree" to buy a reel of tape... :rolleyes: ...I didn't think a reel of new tape was going break your budget. When you buy up a bunch of bad "NOS" tape, well...that's a total waste of money.

For reference...here's the old thread about your NOS 206. I'm still not seeing who was "shitting" on you...?
You were just being unrealistic about finding retail bulk sources for NOS 206 tape.
Seems like everyone in the thread was telling you the same thing...in a very straightforward way.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...206-1-2-2500-a-376565/?highlight=#post4286894

+1000

as usual
miroslav says it like it is

you wont say what the fix was because it was buying new tape that does not shed yet

i wont say you are stupid but you are certainly stuck on stubborn by refusing to do what we all did when we had similar tape problems

when the new tape has the same issues you will be retired and wont care
shedding tape is a tape problem

buying and using old tape successfully is only due to dumb luck
nobody would say to buy a new machine when your tape fails

and all those years were more years for that tape to deteriorate
at some point tape just wears out and you do need to buy new tape

I think Roozter was just frustrated with his tape and machine issues when he started the thread, especially because he was in the middle of some recording, which can be annoying...but which has nothing to do with or is the fault of anyone here.

Then when the first suggestion was made to simply buy some new tape...that got him instantly all worked up, because apparently he has some budget limitations...which also has nothing to do with or is the fault of anyone here...yet he gets angry at people here, and he's also carrying some 5-year old chip on his shoulder about some bowel incident...?...which doesn't seem to have ever happened, other than in his mind.

Like I said..."Dude, you are WAY overreacting."
Your problems are on your end, not with anyone here.

I think Roozter was just frustrated with his tape and machine issues when he started the thread, especially because he was in the middle of some recording, which can be annoying...but which has nothing to do with or is the fault of anyone here.

Then when the first suggestion was made to simply buy some new tape...that got him instantly all worked up, because apparently he has some budget limitations...which also has nothing to do with or is the fault of anyone here...yet he gets angry at people here, and he's also carrying some 5-year old chip on his shoulder about some bowel incident...?...which doesn't seem to have ever happened, other than in his mind.

Like I said..."Dude, you are WAY overreacting."
Your problems are on your end, not with anyone here.

I think he is frustrated because we told him the truth but he did not want to hear that.
He wanted confirmation of his own ideas being correct.

Wonder how he reacts to the preacherman telling him which end is up and if he rejects it because he does not like the truth there either.
That is assuming he ever went to church in his life.

Maybe if he went to church and found Christ Jesus the nazarene he would not be so uptight about mere tape recorders and tape shedding.

I try not mix religion with audio recording... :D ...except when I pray that I nail the next take! :p

of course you dont mix them

but too many reject religion as inconvenient
just like the slutz at gearslutz buy more and more gear
and do not worry about retirement or sending the kids to college
or how to pay off their massive credit card debt and move out of their parents basement

eternity is a long time
and the future is coming at us faster than people think
blink a couple of times and you are old and lonely and those college days are way in the past
the kids grew up and moved out
people died that you know
family members died
you suddenly realise that your time is short
and have to ask are you prepared for what happens next forever

of course you dont mix them

but too many reject religion as inconvenient

Not to get into some drawn out discussion about religion here in this forum...but in my case, it's not a question of inconvenience, but that so much of all/any religion is founded on manmade ceremonial nonsense.

That's got nothing to do with acceptance of some broader purpose in the universe or living your life in a way that's founded on good values.
Anyway...if you want get into all that, maybe you should start a thread in the Prime forum, although, like political discussions, it will most likely be a short lived thread...that won't last forever. ;)

Not to get into some drawn out discussion about religion here in this forum...but in my case, it's not a question of inconvenience, but that so much of all/any religion is founded on manmade ceremonial nonsense.

That's got nothing to do with acceptance of some broader purpose in the universe or living your life in a way that's founded on good values.
Anyway...if you want get into all that, maybe you should start a thread in the Prime forum, although, like political discussions, it will most likely be a short lived thread...that won't last forever. ;)

agreed

most of the religion being pushed is man made andor created/pushed by the devil to confuse people
which definitely drives a lot of people away from looking at any of them to see which one is true

wont start any threads on religion
maybe should have used a different example of the other guy rejecting the correct advice he got

Most of my work with tape since, like 1996 is restoring or transfering. So I spend a lot of time trying to get old tapes to play well.
Most definitely, if I were going to try to record new tracks, which I don't for a lot of reasons, I would use new tape. I can't imagine the headaches I would be buying into, trying to get 30 year old tape to perform correctly. And if I had someone else paying me to make those recordings, by the hour? Forget it.

Also, to the subject of 206 not sticking or shedding, I remember being told for a long time that 206 was "safe", and I didn't need to bake it. I have not found that to be true recently. Within the last couple of years, I have seen several reels of 206 in various sizes that ranged from mildly sticky to "can't even try to play this". Maybe it just took longer for 206 to start showing the problems we've all seen for decades on other tapes.

Back