Teac 80-8 Motor Issue

thereelman77

Hi,

My Teac 80-8 got bumped and fell about 1 foot onto the ground. Since then, the FW function is slow and the two tape path guides, underneath the heads, will not "unlock" they will only stay in place (unless I pull them down, at which point they click back up). No other problems other than those.

Any thoughts about what to do with the motor or tape path guides?

Thanks.

With FF, you might want to check in case the brake bands have shifted somehow. With the lifter you are going to have to take it apart and see what's happened, I think.

Hmmk. What exactly would I be adjusting, the screws? We have the unit out, but I can't really see any adjusting ports for the brake.

I'm not familiar with the 80-8, unfortunately. But as a rule these machines usually have a brake band around each reel table. If it's knocked hard enough, sometimes the brake band can bend or snap into a weird position and prevent the reel table from turning properly. If it's turning freely, then it must be some other problem, but I'm not sure what you could do with an impact that would slow FF down without also affecting the play function.

Do you mean the tape lifters, that lift the tape off the heads when you FF and RW ? If that's what it is that may be why your FF is slow because it'd be dragging on the heads. But I would think the RW would be too. There could be a relay of some sort for that.

That's a heavy thing to knock over!

Back