Teac 80-8

Frosty, without a manual, I'd be hard pressed to say but my guess for the era would be something like Ampex 406/407. Maybe 456/457 but I just can't remember if that formula was out at that particular moment in time. You can search for NOS Quantegy 406/407 on ebay and play the pricing crap game; in general, though I'd stay away from the Ampex backcoated stuff - most of it has sticky shed problems. My solution has been to pick a current tape (I like RMGI's SM911 - their Ampex 456 equivalent - but there are others) and have the deck biased to that tape and stick with it. But then, I'm close enough to Nashville to know people who can do that for me. About the only thing the Teacs and Tascams of that era can't handle from today's manufacturers is the really hot ATR tape. That +9 tape formulation had not been heard of until a few years later.

Both my 38 and 3440 are biased for SM911. I keep my 32 biased for LPR-35 (the 1 mil SM911 equivalent) but I use it for listening in my main stereo system more than any recording application. I will say even at that, it did a fine job recently of recording on some 911, just not quite as good as if it were set up for it.

Hope this helps.

I believe the machine came set up for 456/457 from the Montebello, CA Headquarters but one could align it for a number of different types of tape. Among them were Scotch (3M) 206, Ampex 406, & Ampex 456.

Back