Teac 5 transformer input

Blue Jinn

Rider of the ARPocalypse
Well,

I just noticed that the pot on one of the channel faders is busted, (the metal part just fell inside!) so have to replace that don't know how that happened. And me, in a quest to clean up an otherwise uncleanable mess of a basement got rid of an entire broken Teac 5 a few years ago. Well anyway, aside from not being able to black box the channel module, in looking at the schematic the mic pres have a transformer in front of the (my notes say) 4558 opamp, transformer input vs opamp is kinda cool IMO, nice to have that option.

The schematics don't have a sep parts list, so I don't know the make model and haven't torn it down yet to replace the pot, but I thought it kinda cool they're not just opamp gain stages.

Until I sell the Teac 5, I'll A/B the mic pres with teh (AFAIK) transformerless M-520....

Call Deanne Jensen Transformers. I'll bet they have a trannie that will fit and work much better than the originals. Those things saturated rather quick, as I recall.

Not sure what the specs are but prob 1:8 or 1:10, that $400 to $600 worth of transformers to do each channel. One or two and maybe some Edcors may be worth it though, and maybe upgrading the opamps too....

Back