TEAC A-3440 doesn't record!

Peacock

Hello, I've just brought this reel to reel and it's my first, so hopefully I'm doing something really stupid.
It seems to run really smoothly, but I can't get it to record.
I've downloaded the manual and I'm doing everything that it sais step by step.
It can tell that there is sound going in trough the mike jack, as the dials move when you speak into the mike. But when I press record it doesn't work. The reel's move round as if it is recording, but nothing is transferred onto the tape.
I brought a new tape, so that shouldn't be the problem.
I don't know if the play function works either because I only have this new tape which has nothing on it.

Can anyone help me?

I hope so!
Peacock

Are the red lights on? The function button should be lit solid red as well as the record button. Another problem could be if you accidentally threaded the tape over the head flap.

Are the red lights on? The function button should be lit solid red as well as the record button. Another problem could be if you accidentally threaded the tape over the head flap.

Or you could have the output selected to "input" instead of "sync" or "Play."

Hello, thanks for the tips,
I had the red light flashing and then it comes on constantly when record is selected.
I think after further testing line one doesn't work, but the others do.
I can only get it to play back on Sync and not play, is this normal?

Thanks again,
Peacock

Hello, thanks for the tips,
I had the red light flashing and then it comes on constantly when record is selected.
I think after further testing line one doesn't work, but the others do.
I can only get it to play back on Sync and not play, is this normal?

Thanks again,
Peacock

All channels should work the same. Sync or play should yield a playback signal.

Thanks for the help,
But I have to confess I don't know what the playback cards are, can you give me a bit more direction please. I had a look at the manuals and couldn't find anything that said playback card in there.
Sorry to be a pain,
But a big thanks,
Peacock

Hello...
I've also been recording from a CD player today, and the quality is really bad. the recording is extreemly faint and crackely.
I cleaned the heads etc but haven't recieved a demagnitiser yet... will this help with the quallity or do I need to do something else for this?

Hello...
I've also been recording from a CD player today, and the quality is really bad. the recording is extreemly faint and crackely.
I cleaned the heads etc but haven't recieved a demagnitiser yet... will this help with the quallity or do I need to do something else for this?

I doubt it has anything to do with the heads needing to be de-magnetized and unfortunately I don't know where the cards are on the 3440 but that's a good place to start if you can find out. Pull them out and maybe use some deoxit on all the connections. Try the deoxit on your switches and knobs too. Have you examined the heads good and made sure there is no gunk built up on them. If the tape is new old stock it could still be bad too. If it's old gunk you really need to scrub it because it'll be dried on there.

The 4 cards for the playback is located on the bottom, take the feet off and metal plate, you see each card for channel 1-4, pull each card out and clean the connectors + spray some De-Oxit on each slot of the mother board where the card goes in, do the same for all 4 cards.
Be careful when doing this, it's tight to reach and the brackets in front of the card been to come off first.
The 3440 is a great machine, but not service friendly.

common problem here...the 3rd channel of mt TEAC A3440, doesn't produce sound in play output selection... in sync output selection works ok....the other channels work ok as well.
Any help?

This was very helpful! I did this and now I can playback via the sync head, but it seems that the playback doesn't work just yet.

Bumping an old post, in case it might still help anyone. I have a 3440, great unit! I hadnt used it in a while... put a tape on last night but the meters would all go off when the Output select is in 'Play' mode, which is where it should be.. but if I switched to 'Sync', the meters came back on and I had sound.... Could not figure out why... then I remembered- I had disconnected the RX-9 noise reduction unit from it a while ago, and I forgot to put the small metal jumpers on the back of the 3440 (there are eight of them to connect between 'send' and 'receive') - Once I put them back on, problem solved! :)

Back