Teac 3340s right channel recording problem

Dandelion1

I own a teac 3340s 4 track recorder. Problem is with recording on tracks 3 & 4 (right channel). They playback pre recorded tapes beautifully but when i go to record something new on those tracks playback is very muffled and the signal very low. I don't hear any noise when i'm recording and the signal going in seems to be strong and crystal clear. Its just when i play back what i've done i get the very low signal. Tracks 1 & 2 record and playback perfect. I'v cleaned the heads and tried many different tapes of good quality. Is this an issue with the record amplifier or erase head for the right channel ?
Hope to hear from you!

I always suggest checking out the simulsync board and switches on those because everything goes through there, going in and out. The pcb gets cracked easily too. Try cleaning all the switches with deoxit.

Cheers Steve, I will check those today. is "Deoxit" something that you can find at most electronic stores like radio shack etc ? excuse my ignorance but what is the pcb ?

Thanks again!

Cheers Steve, I will check those today. is "Deoxit" something that you can find at most electronic stores like radio shack etc ? excuse my ignorance but what is the pcb ?

Thanks again!

Caig's brand deoxit is the stuff to use. The best place to get it actually is at Guitar Center. You can get a big can. Other wise radio shack has small cans of it but it's kind of a jip. You could try their brand de-oxidizer too I guess.

PCB's are those green boards that all the components are on. Those switches on the simulsync are directly soldered to the symulsync pcb behind the switch cover. Sometimes the pcb cracks if you accidenty bump a switch. I've actually completly rewired mine and had to "jump" the cracked leads. Also try reseating the board on it's posts. It needs a good ground there. The switches on these units are old now too and some are bad or just make bad connections. Try cleaning all of them.

It could be other things too but at least that's accessible to check out.

Hi ya Steve, well i think your right it is to do with the switches in the sym sync board. I took the cover off and sprayed the switches with just a contact cleaner i found in the garage and i got track 3 workin great! track four seems to be a little better but still the output is quite low after recording. The circut board is a little cracked like you mentioned. All wires seem to be connected at the back though. I'l keep tryin and let you know how I go. Thanks again steve!

Back