Teac 3340 and 2340 Service Needed

newdays007

Good morning all,
I just joined your BBD this morning and appreciate the information offered. Been recording on open reel since the late 60's ! Having a digital studio now, I want to go back in time and salvage my recordings and burn them to CD. Both my Teac units need cleaning - as the play mechanism will not engage on it's own . . I can push the rubber pinch roller into position and play back my recordings. I am looking for a quality service station in the Massachusetts area to perform maintenance on these units. The units are heavy - I hope to drive them to a repair center and not use UPS or FEDX.
Thank you for your time . . . Joe

I know this is not in your area, but Vintage Electronic in Colorado could do the service for you. You might want to check out their site as there are links to other folks who do servicing also. There might be someone closer to you. Here's their link http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/

There is one in Lawrence called High Tech and another in Watertown, I think it's called Alectronics? Is that it Maddogg? I talked once with the guy in Watertown and he seemed pretty cool. There's also a place in Wellesley I forget the name of it.

I think I know what you're experiencing...I've got both a 2340 and a 3340 that I use regularly, and both had this problem when I first acquired them. After a few times of manually moving the rubber wheel into place, the mechanism loosens up a little and they work fine. I have heard that some people heat up parts with a soldering iron, but I've not done this myself. You might want to try this before getting a repairman involved. Hope this is helpful.

Hold the heating up idea! The pinch roller arm lever seizes up due to the grease drying up in the lever pin. It's common on these models. Any competent tech can pull it apart, clean the old grease off, put new grease on and put it back together. Not a big job, except sometimes the lever is stuck on tight and needs some careful work to remove it. I'd do it for you except I live in Australia.

Cheers Tim

SteveM said:
There is one in Lawrence called High Tech and another in Watertown, I think it's called Alectronics? Is that it Maddogg? I talked once with the guy in Watertown and he seemed pretty cool. There's also a place in Wellesley I forget the name of it.

The place in Wellesley is Alechtronics.

MCI2424 said:
The place in Wellesley is Alechtronics.

Oh yeah, thanks. I was trying to go by memory from a year ago. And the place in Watertown is called Aztech.

Last edited:
Back