Teac AN-300 Dolby Unit

PoorBoyRecordings

I appoligize if I posted this in the wrong forum but didn't know which forum to post this one on. I bought a Teac AN-300 Dolby Reduction Unit and was wondering ... do I need to a 400 hz test/alignment tape for this or can I adjust everything using the built in tone oscillator ? If I need the tape, where do I get one ? Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi,

I have one of these that I used with my 3340S when I set up my 1st studio. I can't remember ever calibrating the dolby, is your unit out of calibration? If it's not or you are not sure I would leave the dolby calibration alone.

I do believe you can use the test tone to calibrate the dolby by recording the tones to a tape and checking the levels played back, but it's been a long time since I used mine. Of course the tape machine also has to be set up correctly, alignment / calibration, before messing with the dolby.

Cheers

Alan.

Hi,

Of course the tape machine also has to be set up correctly, alignment / calibration, before messing with the dolby.

Cheers

Alan.

Yes that's the crucial part. Dolby is more demanding on the machine's alignment than without Dolby. Disappointments with Dolby usually stem from failure to align the machine. Not just at 400hz but at all frequencies.

Cheers, Tim

Thanks guys. Still living and learning. If I can record the test tone to tape I will do that and my machine ( an A-3304S ) is in proper allignment if you mean mechanically .... heads, etc. Again, thx for responding.

Make sure your deck is properly aligned without the Dolby unit, and then use the 400Hz tone to separately "align" the Dolby unit...all we are talking about with the Dolby unit alignment is making sure that "0" going in is "0" going out both to and from the deck. Does that make sense?

Make sure your deck is properly aligned without the Dolby unit, and then use the 400Hz tone to separately "align" the Dolby unit...all we are talking about with the Dolby unit alignment is making sure that "0" going in is "0" going out both to and from the deck. Does that make sense?

Yes, that all makes sense. I knew it had to be the same going out as going in. So much to learn :eek: Never knew there was so much to making recordings :(

Take it from me...try not to get swept up into the maintenance...you'll get lost in it leaving the music-making behind. Start with just basics and go from there.

I'd say, if you can (and this is really hard for me to do personally), just get to work using it. As long as the tape or deck are not being damaged by something that is grossly out of adjustment, and if it sounds good, roll tape. If there is a problem then work at addressing that and learn through that. Eventually you'll pick up a lot by attrition.

Take it from me...try not to get swept up into the maintenance...you'll get lost in it leaving the music-making behind. Start with just basics and go from there.

I'd say, if you can (and this is really hard for me to do personally), just get to work using it. As long as the tape or deck are not being damaged by something that is grossly out of adjustment, and if it sounds good, roll tape. If there is a problem then work at addressing that and learn through that. Eventually you'll pick up a lot by attrition.

Thanks Sweet. My problem is I am trying to learn as much about the equipment as the recording. The whole process of everything is all new to me ... mic placement, volume, equalization, etc., etc., etc. Hope that makes sense. :confused:

One last question

Just one last question about this unit. The manual does not show how or if to connect between the mixer and tape deck. Do I connect it like connecting the mixer to the deck .. i.e. dolby out to tape deck in and mixer out to tape in on the dolby ?:confused:

Hi,

I will have a look at my An-300 over the weekend and see if I can find a manual for it (I may not have had one). I need to refresh my memory on the naming of the connections on the back.

What tape machine are you using with it? I seem to remember when using it with a 3340S it was a complicated switching thing recording and playback, but you get used to it.

I will say it turned the 3340S into a very pro sounding machine for its day, some of the old recordings I did with this set up stand up well today.

Cheers

Alan.

Just one last question about this unit. The manual does not show how or if to connect between the mixer and tape deck. Do I connect it like connecting the mixer to the deck .. i.e. dolby out to tape deck in and mixer out to tape in on the dolby ?:confused:

Yes... you got it. :)

Sorry about my rambling on about the manual, I missed the bit where you said, "in the manual" and thought you did not have one. Must be something about being on the forum early morning my time, where is my coffee.

Looks like you have it figured out.

Alan.

Hi,

I will have a look at my An-300 over the weekend and see if I can find a manual for it (I may not have had one). I need to refresh my memory on the naming of the connections on the back.

What tape machine are you using with it? I seem to remember when using it with a 3340S it was a complicated switching thing recording and playback, but you get used to it.

I will say it turned the 3340S into a very pro sounding machine for its day, some of the old recordings I did with this set up stand up well today.

Cheers

Alan.

I am using a 3340S maching also, with a Teac/Tascam Model 5B mixer and the dolby unit. ( well not the dolby unit yet but will soon since you all helped me with this ). Thanks everyone. :)

Back