Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teac AN-300 Dolby Unit

Thanks

Question Teac AN-300 Dolby Unit

Sign in to disable this ad
    I appoligize if I posted this in the wrong forum but didn't know which forum to post this one on. I bought a Teac AN-300 Dolby Reduction Unit and was wondering ... do I need to a 400 hz test/alignment tape for this or can I adjust everything using the built in tone oscillator ? If I need the tape, where do I get one ? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Hi,

I have one of these that I used with my 3340S when I set up my 1st studio. I can't remember ever calibrating the dolby, is your unit out of calibration? If it's not or you are not sure I would leave the dolby calibration alone.

I do believe you can use the test tone to calibrate the dolby by recording the tones to a tape and checking the levels played back, but it's been a long time since I used mine. Of course the tape machine also has to be set up correctly, alignment / calibration, before messing with the dolby.

Cheers

Alan.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by witzendoz View Post
    Hi,

Of course the tape machine also has to be set up correctly, alignment / calibration, before messing with the dolby.

Cheers

Alan.
    Yes that's the crucial part. Dolby is more demanding on the machine's alignment than without Dolby. Disappointments with Dolby usually stem from failure to align the machine. Not just at 400hz but at all frequencies.

Cheers, Tim

Thanks
    Thanks guys. Still living and learning. If I can record the test tone to tape I will do that and my machine ( an A-3304S ) is in proper allignment if you mean mechanically .... heads, etc. Again, thx for responding.

Thanks
    Make sure your deck is properly aligned without the Dolby unit, and then use the 400Hz tone to separately "align" the Dolby unit...all we are talking about with the Dolby unit alignment is making sure that "0" going in is "0" going out both to and from the deck. Does that make sense?

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sweetbeats View Post
    Make sure your deck is properly aligned without the Dolby unit, and then use the 400Hz tone to separately "align" the Dolby unit...all we are talking about with the Dolby unit alignment is making sure that "0" going in is "0" going out both to and from the deck. Does that make sense?
    Yes, that all makes sense. I knew it had to be the same going out as going in. So much to learn Never knew there was so much to making recordings

Thanks
    Take it from me...try not to get swept up into the maintenance...you'll get lost in it leaving the music-making behind. Start with just basics and go from there.

I'd say, if you can (and this is really hard for me to do personally), just get to work using it. As long as the tape or deck are not being damaged by something that is grossly out of adjustment, and if it sounds good, roll tape. If there is a problem then work at addressing that and learn through that. Eventually you'll pick up a lot by attrition.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbeats View Post
    Take it from me...try not to get swept up into the maintenance...you'll get lost in it leaving the music-making behind. Start with just basics and go from there.

I'd say, if you can (and this is really hard for me to do personally), just get to work using it. As long as the tape or deck are not being damaged by something that is grossly out of adjustment, and if it sounds good, roll tape. If there is a problem then work at addressing that and learn through that. Eventually you'll pick up a lot by attrition.
    Thanks Sweet. My problem is I am trying to learn as much about the equipment as the recording. The whole process of everything is all new to me ... mic placement, volume, equalization, etc., etc., etc. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
    More than you know...

Thanks

Question One last question

Just one last question about this unit. The manual does not show how or if to connect between the mixer and tape deck. Do I connect it like connecting the mixer to the deck .. i.e. dolby out to tape deck in and mixer out to tape in on the dolby ?

Thread Information