TEAC A-234OSX Question......Help needed...Stopped Working.

mogamusic123

Hey Guys-

Just acquired a free TEAC A-234OSX from my landlords friend.

Got it to the house, turned on, all functions seemed to work. In pretty rough shape. There was a reel on there, during play back it was very faint, whatever was on the tape (i'm sure the tape is very old).

Any who, I cleaned the heads and looked in the inside to dust out. The recording function doesn't seem to work. Play, FF, REW etc all work but nothing seems to happen when you try and record.

So anyways, after a bit of diagnosing I flipped her back on and now nothing works. REW FF Play etc have all stopped work. Think a belt of something may have came off when I inspected it but I was very careful.

Feel like this problem may have something to do with the REC not working. I've had a Tascam 388 in the past so I'm not too familiar with this TEAC.

If anyone could help, that would be greatly appreciated. Don't know if it needs any new parts, etc. Want to start using it ASAP. Thanks.

Without seeing a video of what you actually did when you opened up the machine is pretty much a shot in the dark to try and figure what exactly got messed up in there.

The capstan would be the only thing that is belt driven in there so yeah, go back and check to see if you knocked it off the flywheel and/or motor spindle and if so, put it back on. If its loose, replace it with a new one.

But as far as no transport functions working now at all, I might only suggest having a look at the fuse panel to see if the reel motor fuses popped and replace them with the identical size and type if that happened.

The transport itself will be triggered by the right side tension arm. So that of course has to be up in order for any transport functions to work. Your 388 would work the same way in that regard.

So check those basic, obvious things first and then once they're eliminated as the problem, we can dig deeper at that point.

Cheers! :)

Ok- So pretty much whats happening now is that everything seems to be working fine. All the transport functions wrk but nothing happens when you hit record.

Play back on whatever s on the tape is extremely soft coming through headphones or Speakers.

I replaced the main 250V fuse in the back, but didn't touch the fuse panel inside, I'll have to try that.

Its strange because all transport functions work, the tape even starts spinning when you hit rec & play, but nothing pics up on the tape, the mic and everything else is picking up too, it just records nothing.

Anyone have any advice, please let me know, I wanna start using this thing asap. Thanks!

For low levels on playback, again looking at the basics first, ensure that the tape path is clean. You said you had a 388 before, right? So you know about cleaning the heads.

If that does nothing positive, then next you have to look very closely at the tape passing over the heads as its playing to ensure that full contact is being made. Sometime the tape lifter arms might not be fully retracting out of the way and if that's the case, that would explain the low level playback and the no level record.

Also keep in mind that if you only have that one pre-recorded tape to go by, and its not a tape you ever heard play normally, you won't be able really know if its the machine or the tape. So if you have a different tape, maybe an old one from your 388, try that one also.

Once that's eliminated as a problem, you then have to look at getting the deck calibrated with the proper test tape and follow a set procedural bunch of steps to ensure all the internal levels are correct. If you're a n00b to doing this sort of thing, its probably best to just find a technician in your area who can check the machine out.

Also, Why did you change the fuse in the back of the machine? Was the old one blown? Or did you just change it for the hell of it?

Cheers! :)

When ever anyone has a problem with these I always recommend checking the symulsync board for cracks. The switches for symulsync are easily knocked where they are positioned and they are directly on the pcb there. Everything goes through that board. Just take the cover off and inspect the pcb. Also, the switches get old and stop working right. It could be any of the switches. You can try cleaning them with caigs deoxit.

Thanks, I will try both these things tmmrw when I'm around the machine.

What I don't get is why its not recording though, I've cleaned the heads etc and it hasn't seemed to do much, I feel like the heads aren't the issue because the two lights in the middle of the machine don't go on when you start recording and the mics all pick up when you are recording......

Somethings up with it and I can't seem to figure it out, i'll try seeing if the board was knocked around inside but i'm pretty sure it's stable since I had it open today.

Thanks again, please keep any other suggestions coming. My shure condenser sounds great through this but it won't record!

the problem sounds like the tape might be threaded upside down (except for the part about the record light not going on ... not sure if I read that right though). What is the brand and type of tape and is the shiny side or dull side touching the heads? On non-backcoated tape, the dull side should touch. on backcoated tape, the shiny side should touch the heads.

Thanks, I will try both these things tmmrw when I'm around the machine.

What I don't get is why its not recording though, I've cleaned the heads etc and it hasn't seemed to do much, I feel like the heads aren't the issue because the two lights in the middle of the machine don't go on when you start recording and the mics all pick up when you are recording......

Somethings up with it and I can't seem to figure it out, i'll try seeing if the board was knocked around inside but i'm pretty sure it's stable since I had it open today.

Thanks again, please keep any other suggestions coming. My shure condenser sounds great through this but it won't record!

The switch for the track needs to be in sync mode when you're recording. Not sure if you already know that. Also the record select switch for the channel needs to be on.

If the red light is not going on it seems there might be something else going on. Try turning all the record channel select switches on and putting them all in sync mode and pressing record/play to see if any red lights come on.

Nah, Nothing. I knew that from the start, and it wasn't working right off the bat, even with all switches in the correct spot, etc.

Still trying to determine what it could be considering, like I said, everything else works just fine.

Nah, Nothing. I knew that from the start, and it wasn't working right off the bat, even with all switches in the correct spot, etc.

Still trying to determine what it could be considering, like I said, everything else works just fine.

So you're getting no record light on ANY channel? hmmnn.........

The only time I had that problem when the light wouldn't come on, (on ONE channel) , it was because the record select switch itself was bad. But you have it on all channels.

And you said you inspected the sync pcb for cracks?

I am going to try and clean the switches from the inside today, & I'll get back to you with updates.
Thanks guys. Keep suggestions Coming.

Ok, so you we're right, the board is cracked. I cleaned the switches from the inside, and now all the record lights come on when recording but still......nothing records. All channels pick up the mic and the lights all come on when you record, but still during playback there is nothing. Not sure if this has something to do with the tape?......i'm not sure. The board IS cracked though, but only a minor one. I can try taking a pic & sending...any suggestions? This is bugging me.

If you can take a picture it might help. You need to make sure you have continuity through the leads that the crack is going through. I forget if the pcb is solder runs or if the leads are inside the board. If it's just a tiny crack through solder you might be able to just hit the area with a solder gun to make sure the solder has a path for the voltage. Otherwise you need to jump the crack with a wire. I had a pretty severely cracked one I fixed like this.

Remember every time you use those switches it bends the pcb a little and aggravates the crack. So you need to make sure you have good connections on that board.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

It's possible it could be the tape. I guess a picture of all that would help too.

Well- I haven't inspected it in a few days, so today I'm gonna try to see if I can fix the problem. Hopefully this will finally resolve this all, getting really antsy to start using this.

Hi mogamusic,
SteveM is right about the sync switches as everything does go through them but the part where he is wrong is that the record mode needs to be in Sync. That is not correct as sync mode turns off the record function to the heads.
The sync switches need to be in Normal for record.
These machines are getting older all the time and I am one who has been fixing them in Chicago. I used to work for Teac at the 539 W. Golf Rd address if you check the Orange sheets that came with them new. This was Teac Factory Service while it was still running. I now am very busy with deck repair at Skywave Tape Deck Repair of which I am the owner. I can restore the deck to 100% functional capability and calibrate to LPR35 tape as that is what is used the most these days for 4 track and 1/4 track decks. SM911 can be used as well but you get less time.
The record mode may be not be working due to a bad oscillator or possible relays that are on boards in the unit as well as some solid state devices. The big concern about repairing one of these is the condition of the heads as they are not easy to get anymore.
I can be contacted if you need further help- skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
I am only trying to help you and if you can fix it there all the better! That is a nice deck.

Hi mogamusic,
SteveM is right about the sync switches as everything does go through them but the part where he is wrong is that the record mode needs to be in Sync. That is not correct as sync mode turns off the record function to the heads.
The sync switches need to be in Normal for record.
These machines are getting older all the time and I am one who has been fixing them in Chicago. I used to work for Teac at the 539 W. Golf Rd address if you check the Orange sheets that came with them new. This was Teac Factory Service while it was still running. I now am very busy with deck repair at Skywave Tape Deck Repair of which I am the owner. I can restore the deck to 100% functional capability and calibrate to LPR35 tape as that is what is used the most these days for 4 track and 1/4 track decks. SM911 can be used as well but you get less time.
The record mode may be not be working due to a bad oscillator or possible relays that are on boards in the unit as well as some solid state devices. The big concern about repairing one of these is the condition of the heads as they are not easy to get anymore.
I can be contacted if you need further help- skywavebe@sbcglobal.net
I am only trying to help you and if you can fix it there all the better! That is a nice deck.

Hey Sam! You're the one who taught me about the sync boards and helped me with a few other repairs. I still appreciate that and I still have all the notes!

Yes, mogamusic if you want to know anything about these Skywave is the guy to ask. I haven't used mine in a while so I must have forgot if it was in sync or normal to record. It must be in sync for the prerecorded tracks. That make more sense.

Back