Teac A-2340 SX - Help, info, whatever insight you've got

jdbc

Hello -

I searched the forum (although I may not have done it right) looking for info on the Teac A-2340 SX, and the only threads I found were a few years old, and didn't have a whole lot of info in them. I also searched Google, which wasn't much help, either.

Anyway, I just picked up a Teac A-2340 SX from a friend - I'm interested in reel to reel recording, have never done it, and want to learn a little. I also wanted to learn on a 4-track, since I already multitrack with Ableton and Logic, and like to be able to separate tracks.

The thing is, I'm clueless about this thing (seriously - I don't even know if I've got the tape loaded right, and they play button seems to send the tape in the wrong direction), and can't find manuals anywhere...some places were selling manuals, but I didn't see anything for my model, and some of the stuff I did see was expensive, as far as manuals go.

So, if anyone has any info they want to share with a reel-to-reel rookie, I'm all ears, and would appreciate the help.

Also, I'd like to locate a power cable for this, since the way the power cable is hooked up right now is super janky (it came that way) and I have no desire to get myself killed plugging this thing in - if anyone knows where one is to be purchased on the cheap, that would be awesome.

Thanks!

The first thing you need to do is to get the tape path right. This is a VERY old picture of a 3340 cropped out of a larger picture showing the tape path. The path should be the same on your machine. From the supply reel (on the left) you need to go over, then under the first arm, then under the stationary tape guide to the left of the head block. Next, go under the head assembly and between the rotating capstan and rubber pinch roller. Once through the pinch roller/capstan, lift the arm on the right and run the tape between the guide and the "arm" attached to the guide. From there go to the supply reel.

111174867.jpg

Well, that pic helped, and my rtr isn't going backwards now :o

I'm just going to play with the thing today - I need to find a power cable next, though.

Back