TEAC 2340 R ??s

THX1136

Bonehead
I have a 2340 R I recently purchased from an individual on ebay. It was an as-is sale so I can't complain too much about the deck.

Question 1: Track 3 has no sound output. I get needle bump powering up and down on all VUs. I get an increase/decrease of hiss from 3 when adjusting the output level. A friend who used to do electronic repair said to clean switches and de-solder the trk 3 lead to the head and replace with one of the working tracks lead to confirm connection to preamp. And do a connection to confirm trk 3 lead also. I have no manual. Which lead is track 3? - there is red, orange, brown and yellow. I'd rather know for sure on this one since the head is involved.

Question 2: When I play back stereo tapes that were recorded on a Sony TC 540 and 630 I get playback from 2 and 4 not 1 and 3 as I would expect. The head looks to be centered when the tape goes across it. Is is possible that the alignment is a whole track off?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

I would like to add that I have discovered I get "playback" through 3 when playing in reverse - right to left. Still no signal in normal playback mode - left to right.

Also I tweaked the playback head and it was indeed off by a track's worth.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well I figured out which is which. Brown is track 1 and orange is track 3, which makes noise when I tap it with something non-conductive.

Back