teac A-2300 pops & clicks

m208ferchange

Hi all!
Recently my a-2300 started producing LOUD and frequent pops and clicks during playback(fidelity is fine though). Sounds like stray static is somehow getting to the headphone and line out jacks. I fed a signal through the machine and monitored it as 'source'......no pops no clicks.
The tape I have (only one) is really old and has shed a heap of oxide from both edges....but would that produce clicks and pops?
Any takers to help me troubleshoot this?

Brings back memories...

I never had a Teac A-2300, but I did have an A-4010S quarter-track machine, similar to this one. My mom's friend gave it to me for free -- it had been collecting dust for many many years in her closet. I had to unwind about 50 feet of stuck tangled tape from the reel tables the day I got it to allow the motors to turn :eek:

Then, upon the second power-up of the unit, a giant cap exploded:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=146496

I then replaced the cap and the drive belts, and got reel holders, but the source preamp was noisy as all get-out: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=148675

So in the end, the source preamp was noisy, but if I switched the monitoring source to tape, there was no noise. However, If I played back a tape, there was noise and pops/hiss, (probably due to issues with the repro head and/or electronics.) Recording on this machine worked, but was a joke because of how noise the source preamp was, so I couldn't get a decent recording out of it to save my life.

I ended up walking into a vintage electronic shop in my hometown and trading it for a $30.00 pair of Marantz stereo speakers. No clue what the fate of this machine is now.

If I had the time and money, I would have re-capped the electronics, which would have probably fixed most of the noise/pop issues.

Hi all!
Recently my a-2300 started producing LOUD and frequent pops and clicks during playback(fidelity is fine though). Sounds like stray static is somehow getting to the headphone and line out jacks. I fed a signal through the machine and monitored it as 'source'......no pops no clicks.
The tape I have (only one) is really old and has shed a heap of oxide from both edges....but would that produce clicks and pops?
Any takers to help me troubleshoot this?

Clean/demag the machine. Get new reel of tape. The cherished analog sound does not include the added artifacts of deteriorating tape. If the problem is still present it could be anything from electronics issues to a bad head stack.

Back