TEAC-144 portastudio repair project

Dr ZEE

Anti-Pro Circles Insider
I Finally put it together here:
http://www.mzentertainment.com/studio_workshop_teac_144.html
This may be helpful if somebody getting inside this unit for the first time. It may look a bit tricky there.
Also this may be similar to tascam-244 / 246 (????) - that's just my guess, as I never had those in my hands.
The links to photos are there on the page. This covers access, repair VU-meters (lamp replacement), Potentiometers, Faders and Switches Clean Up, some other minor repair.

Mike, I'm totally speechless! This is one hell of an amazing work that you've done! Not only for people who own those portastudios, mind you but also so many other tape machines / mixers can relate! As far as I know that's the only project of its kind on the web so that says something right there. I think this also gives many of us the courage to go ahead with perhaps some unfinished projects or ones we're a bit 'scared' to complete or even start. :eek::D:o

Hey, I know how much work, time and patience it takes, also to illustrate with picts and descriptions, so once again thank you for taking the time. The system won't allow me to give any more rep points so GUYS, give the Doc some well deserved green chicklets!! :D:D

Too bad there isn't a smilie for a 'jaw drop'!:eek::D

-------

Last edited:
NICE! I thought I was the only nut around here tearing up his studio equipment :D

Those VU meter lamps are the same nasty buggers as in my Toa. Total unobtainium. Nice job retrofitting the new lamps. I did something similar in my VU meters but I had alot more space to work with inside. Small meters like yours would have drove me crazy attempting to replace the lamps.

Guys, THANKS a bunch for your comments and all that.

One thing I can add here is this:
We gotta keep ours and help others to keep theirs "junkers" alive in any way we can :D

Maybe, Someday, the GOLD will be rediscovered.
well, but then again - maybe it will be not :(

/respects

Hello! Bumping this thread.
I did inherit one of those from my grandfather, and I'm going to try record some music on it.
It says that normal tapes not should be used in it,
so my question is: What cassettes is best for this?

Thanks

What cassettes is best for this?

You want a Type II tape but manufacturers often also mark it as "high bias", "position: high", "chrome" etc... Look for Maxell XLII, TDK SA, Fuji DRII, to name a few still available today. If you can, get 60min length but 90's are OK to use too, even if they're thinner.

uh, cool
I asked, because I thought of posting couple of liks directly where to buy new type-II tapes here in US, then I saw .de in your link...so you know :)
if you find some bulk cassettes with no lables and you are not sure what type the tape is, you can look at the notches (where the write-protection tabs are), see the picture attached:

Attachments

• cassette_types_notches.JPG
    cassette_types_notches.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 121
Maxell MS-30 Audio Pro cassettes are the shit. They come in 60 and 90 as well but you want to use as little tape as you need for the project, IMO.

You can get them here...WMSales.com Maxell Studio Cassettes

I've used TDK SA's in their "professional" packaging at 30 and 60. They were good too but I think the Maxells allow hotter levels and sound better to me...

Mike, I’m not sure how I missed this thread before. I must have been out.

Excellent!

The 144 was my first personal multitrack. I modded mine by adding a ¼” jack in the back for a Record punch in/out footswitch. Seeing the one you have there brings back memories of taking that thing apart and trying to figure out how I should do it. I ended up running twin wire from the Record button back to the jack I installed. Very delicate operation with the soldering and all.

I also did a lot of cool music on that unit. It was the first time I could really be alone away from a commercial studio setting. Just me alone with my keyboard and the 144… stuff just started happening creatively. I still have some of the old tapes containing themes I want to explore for future music.

Anyway Mike, as usual you never cease to amaze me your skills. Again, excellent job.

~Timothy
:)

P.S. I used TDK SA back then, but I like Maxell now more than I used to in cassette multitracks. The formulations have been tweaked over the years so it’s hard to compare a given Maxell XLII with a given TDK SA or SA-X. It all depends when and where the tapes where made.

The Maxell XLII made in the EU sounds sweet in a portastudio with dbx NR.

The old 144 had Dolby B-Type NR, so it may sound better with something else. ;)

..but I like Maxell now more than I used to in cassette multitracks..... It all depends when and where the tapes where made.

The Maxell XLII made in the EU sounds sweet in a portastudio with dbx NR.

I picked up several boxes of XLII recently, current production and noticed something very interesting. The back of the box states: "Assembled in Mexico with Japan and U.S. components". In a world of "made in china" merchandise, I was stoked that Maxell still hasn't totally sold out! Also, I really like that their cassette shells are of the 4 screw design. Again, a quality product. :)

Tim, are you saying that the XLII, made in the EU, is different?:confused:

Thanks.;)

Mike, I’m not sure how I missed this thread before. I must have been out.

Excellent...
Thanks a bunch, Tim! :)
My 144 actually went through the second wave of restoration since that thread. I was lucky to spot another non-functional dump-ready unit that was great for parts, so I've got the door, missing knobs, switches, the logo and most imortantly that very special drive-shaft rubber shoe (I have no clue what is "corrct" technical term for it :o ), so now I have it almost in show-room like condition :D
Also, since I had some leftovers from the parts-machine, I have another sort of related interesting project - TASCAM RC-71-like remote, built using TEAC 144's transport buttons board and actually a cut-piece of its top-cover. Her's the link to the page with all the details: http://www.mzentertainment.com/studio_workshop_tascam_rc_71.html.
It is actually reletively easy to build an RC-71 like control box, it takes only few simple normally open push-button switches, pair of LEDs (also they are optional), some box and wires. The most challenging part is actually the connector. I've ended up using pins pulled from from parallel port connectors - WORKS :D
Here's The principle diargram: http://www.mzentertainment.com/pics/tascam_rc_71/dr_zee_workshop_tascam_rc_71_schematics.gif

The 144 was my first personal multitrack. I modded mine by adding a ¼” jack in the back for a Record punch in/out footswitch. Seeing the one you have there brings back memories of taking that thing apart and trying to figure out how I should do it. I ended up running twin wire from the Record button back to the jack I installed. Very delicate operation with the soldering and all.
That's cool. Yeah, and with this machine, while the idea may be very simple, but practical implimentation is a pretty damn sophisticated operation. :)

I also did a lot of cool music on that unit. It was the first time I could really be alone away from a commercial studio setting. Just me alone with my keyboard and the 144… stuff just started happening creatively.
"-Oh, Taste of Liberty!
-How sweet! How sweet!"
(...not from W. Shakespeare )
:p
:D

Attachments

• Lyberty.jpg
    Lyberty.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 115
TEAC 144 Portastudio problem - please help

I have a problem with at TEAC 144 I bought recently. I couldn't find a better place to ask my question than here. I really hope you will help me out.

Whenever I press play, fast forward or fast rewind, the recorder stops after about one second. If I hold down play it plays like normal, but if I let go it stoppes immediately.

Do you have any idea about whats going on?

I really hope you will help my out. It not easy to find experts one the machines anymore. At least not in Copenhagen, Denmark. :)

//
Dan

Whenever I press play, fast forward or fast rewind, the recorder stops after about one second. If I hold down play it plays like normal, but if I let go it stoppes immediately.
Dan,
remove the bottom cover. It's easy.
Then check two small bets 'associated' with tape counter mechanism. See the attached picture, pointed GREEN.
These two belts (BOTH of them!!!!) MUST be nice and tight (so they dont slip). They can be broken, completely melted or just stretched and hanging there.
If that's the case, then you get what you describe.

post an update when you get there. Also check the other belts condition as you are there anyway :)

Attachments

• teac_144_counter_belts.jpg
    teac_144_counter_belts.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 110
Dr.Zee.That homemade remote is awesome!!!!!
This looks like a fun project to make if the parts come up.

Back