TDK vs Maxell

Keith H

Which company TDK or Maxell makes the best blank analog audio cassette in terms of sound quality and build Quality?? Thanks in advanced!! Peace.

I've always had better results with Maxell tape. Less noise, stronger signal, and more durable. I have some XLII tapes that I recorded nearly 20 years ago, and they sound good as new. I can't remember one ever snapping on me.

Most of my TDK tapes from that time have gone to cassette heaven. Although I've gotten good recording results with TDK tape, it has historically had a nasty tendency to stretch and break....

That's just my opinion... I could be wrong.

Maxell

Yes, I agree that Maxells are pretty hard to beat for overall durability. TOne potential drawback, though, is that they sometimes have very noisy spindles - squeak like the devil while they're in motion. Doesn't really affect the quality of the recording, unless of course you're using a mic and it's in the same room as the recorder.

Sony HX-Pro is also pretty darn good. Ceramic spindles turn very, very quietly.

Bruce in Korea

I used to use TDK just cause I thought it seemed more popular.
I now use only Maxell XLII 60 minute cause they sound better, and the way I record, they hold up to multiple takes and rewids without stretching better and 5 years from now when you dig it out of the drawer it will sound just the same.
I liked the TV commercial also.
I have'nt tried Sony.

Yo BUbba:

I have to go with Bruce in Korea -- The Sony UX or HX PRO cassettes with the ceramic spindle is a groove.

I've had some cassettes spinning, like Quantegy which bought Ampex, and sounds came forth like the cassette needed a lube job.

Maxell, TKD, and "others" may work just as well as the Sony if they have good mechanisms.

Green Hornet

One prob Sony does'nt make the UX or HXpro no more.

All they make anymore is the cheap CD-IT tapes that you find at Wal-Mart.Maxell also quit making the XLII-S tape but you can still find them if you look around enough,I stocked up on 60 of them from an on-line vender and i'm going to get about 60 more from them before they run out of them completely.And as far as i know TDK still makes the SA-X tape but i think the quality of there mechanism has gone down the toilet,the shells seem to be put together way to tight.And there TDK SA tape just looks and feels cheap espessially since they stoped using screws to put the tape together and went to the what they call "Sonic Welding".I still love to make recordings on tape and it's a shame the manufactures are getting rid of all there good tape lines.Man how times change,Wish it were the 70's and 80's again!!! PEACE TO ALL!!

tdk lost the plot

i have had best results with maxell xl2-s cassettes, and also sony ux tape, tdk where good 10 years ago but just dont' make the grade anymore,they are shit i still have a box of them that i brought last year, only because i got 20 for $30 aust.

Yo Bubba:

I have this "friendly" salesperson in New York who works for J & R electronics.

Call him and ask if he has any Sony UX-PRO cassette tape left.

His name is Alex.

Number is 1-800-[you'll have to get the rest from the net; I don't have a catalog at the moment. It's worth the free call to get the Sony UX PRO or HX Pro.

Extension 1023

Green Hornet:cool: :cool: :p :p

Back