Tascam TSR8 8th track stopped working

desmond22

Hi all. When tryna record on track 8, i arm the track, the levels work you can hear everything, but upon playback there is nada. No levels show, so it seems like nothing is recording on track 8 although it tricks me into thinking its working as i record on there as all meters work as they should. im thinking its something to do with the TSR8 heads but thats why im posting here , cause i have no idea. Any one shed an light on this??
thanks in advance .

PROBLEM FIXED, HEADS WERE DIRTY...GOOSE!!!

Last edited:
It could be the track is not playing back but is recording, to find this out, try recording on track 8 then load the tape backwards (turn it around). If you get a backwards track now on track 1, the recorder is recording on track 8 but not playing back.

Also track 8 has a noise reduction bypass (for time code), does it change the situation if the bypass is switched in or out when recording and playing back?

Let me know the outcome then we go to the next step.

Cheers
Alan.

thanks

cheers bro. no i had a look online and saw the old cracks in the heads when a track dies in the heads. i took a good look witha torch and saw the same. thought id be an opportunist and try clean it off and it worked. Was just a bit of gunk on the 8th track of the heads. all good in the hood and i have that extra track. ive tried bouncing down and im not a big fan. i need all 8 tracks

It could be the track is not playing back but is recording, to find this out, try recording on track 8 then load the tape backwards (turn it around). If you get a backwards track now on track 1, the recorder is recording on track 8 but not playing back.

Cheers
Alan.

Ahhh, thanks for reminding me Alan. I'm having a similar problem. I'll go check this out.

Anyone using analog reels to reels should get into the habit of cleaning the heads and guides before and after every session. It pays in the end.

Cheers
alan.

Back