Tascam TSR 8 problem

Granada

Hey guys,

I found a Tascam TSR 8 on craigslist for 150. The problem is you need to physically push the tape reel to get it to record or play, thats why its $150....
Anyone know what this could possibly be? In a E mail he had mentioned he talked to a tech and the tech said he was looking at $75-100.
In your trusted opinion do you think its even worth it to buy a broken tape machine? He said all inputs and outputs work fine. Ive been in the market to find a steel on one of these for a long while but not quite sure on this one....
What do ya think?

If it can fast-forward and rewind, but play doesn't work, it's almost certainly the capstan belt, which should be an easy fix.
It'll be a bit of a problem if it's the motor, but the belt is a known weak spot in these machines.

So upon further digging for details on what the symptoms are he replied with this.

"Hi. All the functions are affected in that they need a physical assist just to get going then it continues on its own. Without it the machine just clicks and stops"

So it sounds like it cant start moving on its own, but once assisted continues working...hmmm.

Is this looking more like capstan belt issues or motor?
Thanks again

If fast forward and rewind are affected too, it's something else. It might simply be that he's using sticky tape on the machine - Pre-1995 Ampex tape in particular can degrade into goop which will jam the machine and cause it to malfunction in this kind of way.

Otherwise it's difficult to say what the problem is.

I'd say $150 for a malfunctioning TSR-8 is a good deal if you know what you are getting into and know how to fix it.

Unless you are comfortable with the problem and know how to fix it you could quickly have an expensive machine.

If all the transport functions WORK but need encouragement to get started that *could* be a servo logic problem and that can get very pricey unless you can DIY.

Thanks guys for the info.

I think I am going to pass on this one, it doesn't feel right. I just set up my mint Tascam 688 in my room so be expecting to see a lil more of me on here again.

"Doesn't feel right" is the first indicator that it ain't!

Good for you.

I've ignored that feeling too many a time.

And yes, we'd love to see more of your 688!

tsr8

After about 6 months after buying mine (paid 600 oz) its all going sweet. had to fix broken sensor inside, get the counter roller re rubbered and i changed the pinch roller plus threw some new bearings in everywhere. runs like a dream now. good machine, sounds way better than my digi 002. My point here is, these were minor things i had to fix to get it to work properly , the only thig a tech did was glue the sensor inside, i did the rest. Still cost me around 300 bucks just for that minor stuff. Sounds like your TSR8 could be a costly one. ive seen some on CL US for 450. i wanted one for years but i waited til it was one i could pick up.

Back