Tascam TSR-8 Problem

Bigsnake00

I finally got around to running some tests on my recently acquired (free) TSR-8, and there is only one problem that I have run into. Track 1 does not produce a loud, clear recorded signal like 2-8. If you are monitoring a signal the output is plenty strong, but the recorded play back just sounds like crap. Is there some adjusting/cleaning I could try before taking this to a tech. Thanks in advance..
Brandon

Bigsnake00 said:
I finally got around to running some tests on my recently acquired (free) TSR-8, and there is only one problem that I have run into. Track 1 does not produce a loud, clear recorded signal like 2-8.

Inspect the head. When I first got mine, both heads were black with gunk. I had to scrub down the entire tape path :(

If that's okay, try turning your recorded tape over (put it on the machine upside-down) so that track 8 plays on track 1, and vice-versa. That will help determine if it's just a record or playback issue.
With the machine flat on its back and the bottom cover removed, check the seating of the CH1 card. According to my ill-gotten service guide it's the bottom left card.
If you're brave enough to remove and replace the cards, you might want to try swapping two over to see if the fault moves.
If it seems to be the head, check the connection (under the head cover.. it's a 16-pin DIL thing). If that doesn't work, take it to a tech. The heads are expensive, though.

I agree with jp. The seating of the channel cards can be a problem. channels 1-7 on my Tascam 38 were inoperative. I reseated all 8 cards and now it's a champ.

AH HA! I had missed a small spot of gunk on the erase head that was screwing with track one. Sounds awsome now!

Thanks

Back