Tascam TSR-8 no signal on one channel

prosony

I am looking for some advice:

Channel 5 was good, but now all of a sudden has no sound. When I feed a signal to the input and hit the button for channel 5 or activate the all input button there is no LED coming on and no signal on the channel‘s output.
I swapped the board with another channel and I get the same issue on channel 5 and the other channel remains ok.
If I keep the signal fed and switch off the machine I briefly hear the signal and see the LEDs of channel 5.

Anyone here with a good hint?

From the description I'd suspect a problem with the channel 5 input socket, or the connection between it an the rest of the deck.

Might be an idea to record a signal on all channels on a spare piece of tape and then flip the reels over and play it backwards. See if you get output on channel 5 then, if it's popping during power-up I would assume so but it might be worth checking.

Good idea. I have another tape with all 8 tracks recorded and I will play it both directions tomorrow to check.
The signal path from the socket to the channel board though is good.

If you can't easily find the problem, you need to open it up and swap the channel card for the faulty channel with a card from a working channel and see if the problem changes to that channel. They just pull out and push in. Sometimes just moving them fixes the problem as the connectors may have build up some corrosion.

Cheers
Alan

Thanks, cards already swapped. On a known good channel the card is fine. A known good card still does not work on the silent channel. I‘ll keep digging.

Good idea. I have another tape with all 8 tracks recorded and I will play it both directions tomorrow to check.
The signal path from the socket to the channel board though is good.

Did you also make sure that the socket ground is good?

Thanks, cards already swapped. On a known good channel the card is fine. A known good card still does not work on the silent channel. I‘ll keep digging.

Check the connections to the heads next, I have had one of these play up when I had a tsr8.

Alan

From the original post, it isn't even monitoring input. I wonder if the channel 5 card bay isn't getting power or something.

Ok, I would trace the audio connections from the pulg on the back to the metering display, could be a bad plug connection, bad joint or even a bad solder joint.
Alan

Back