Tascam Tsr-8 input/output problem

KARTON

Hey guys just wondering if any of you had some advice on figuring out the problem with my tsr-8. I recently went to use it after about a year of sitting idle and I get no input level on track 6.Also, I get no playback off track 6 on any of my tapes.

You'd likely have to open up the deck and re-seat the channel card. Probably just an oxidized connection or two there that re-seating can usually clean up or perhaps applying a bit of Deox-it on the contacts also to get rid of the crud more completely.

Cheers! :)

Thanks for the reply Ghost of FM, ive deoxed the connections but still nothing, I pulled the card and swapped it to another channel and it works , so I guess the card is ok. Wondering where I can check next, any help appreciated .

Try reseating the wiring loom to the heads, I from long memory, thing there was a loom with a plug in strip? I am thinking heads because you cannot hear track 6 off any earlier tapes.

Alan.

ok, yes , there are wire looms on this. I disconnected them . cleaned them and reconnected. no signal still. when I send a signal to channel 6 It shows up nowhere, not on the leds , not to tape and not on the output. thanks for your help though, where can I check next? anyone?

The next place to look would be on the path between the input and output jack assembly and where the signal travels to and from the channel cards.

Long shot:

Have you looked into the health of the cables that connect the deck to your mixer? Are they healthy? Is the monitoring/mixing paths of your mixer that feed channel 6 healthy?

This always comes down to a process of elimination...detective work 101.

It would have to be something internal, exclusive to channel 6. It sounds like the meters arent registering anything, even on a tape that has signal on track 6.

Seriously doubt external cabling is the culprit.

So, when a known to be functional sound card is plugged into channel 6 it ceases to work?

And when # 6 goes into another slot it works??

Someone has got to have a manual for it. Should have a schematic of sorts or at least a block diagram.

I'm thinking since it worked before and then was stored, there has to be some corrosion somewhere. or maybe a crucial cap leaked out.

Don't really know, just pulling at straws.

Like Ghost says; Detective work is in order.

It would have to be something internal, exclusive to channel 6. It sounds like the meters arent registering anything, even on a tape that has signal on track 6.

Seriously doubt external cabling is the culprit.

So, when a known to be functional sound card is plugged into channel 6 it ceases to work?

And when # 6 goes into another slot it works??

I did preface my comment with the term "long shot" first. :D

I do have the manual, but I guess my question is how do I go about looking for the culprit, how do I check to see where the signal fails? can I use a multimeter and just follow the path to see where the signal stops?

I do have the manual, but I guess my question is how do I go about looking for the culprit, how do I check to see where the signal fails? can I use a multimeter and just follow the path to see where the signal stops?

A mutimeter set to AC volts would be part of it and also a signal generator of some kind to plug into input 6 and see where it goes and/or stops compared to an adjacent working channel for reference.

Back