Tascam TSR-8 Counter Issue

taperocket

Hi,
I'm having an issue with my TSR-8 and I was wondering if any of you knowledgable analog guru's could help me diagnose and maybe fix the problem. You see the unit records and playsback perfectly, however the Counter/Clock doesn't seem to be corresponding with the audio, whats more is when you FF or Rewind it just keeps counting slowly and doesn't pick up speed with the tape so its totally useless in terms of keeping track of where I was. It's like not synched up or something. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

- First make sure the tape is threaded correctly… see below.

- Check the rubber on the counter roller (the large roller below the left reel). Check that the rubber strips are not dry and glazed looking, or worn down to the metal, which can cause slippage.

- Finally, the TSR counter roller works with an optical system inside the machine to count revolutions… it is not belt driven. You may have to take the front panel of the machine off and check for dirt obstructing the optics.

Attachments

• tsr82.jpg
    tsr82.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 151
Beck,
Thanks, the tape was threaded fine, and I just used some Caikleen RBR cleaner on the counter roller. Maybe that will help, what do you mean when you say "worn down to the metal"? The rubber lines are about flush with the metal cap that holds the roller in place, is that bad? If this doesn't help, could you expain the process of opening the unit up and cleaning the optical sensor a little better. Thanks so much, you're giving my recorder some hope!

taperocket said:
Hi,
I'm having an issue with my TSR-8 and I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable analog guru's could help me diagnose and maybe fix the problem. You see the unit records and playsback perfectly, however the Counter/Clock doesn't seem to be corresponding with the audio, whats more is when you FF or Rewind it just keeps counting slowly and doesn't pick up speed with the tape so its totally useless in terms of keeping track of where I was. It's like not synched up or something. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.
It seems like more of a component failure on the tach sensor circuit board inside the unit.

That the counter moves at all in the play mode semi-conclusively proves that the mechanical aspect of the tach roller, sprocket and optical sensor are still functional but there is also a speed sensor functionality to that circuit which should tell the counter to move more quickly in a fast wind situation and that isn't happening on your machines so hence, I suspect a component failure like a switching transistor or diode that has succumb to thermal or plain old electrical failure.

Bottom line;

A trained technician should easily be able to find the offending part, change it and have you back in business.

Cheers! :)

taperocket said:
Beck,
Thanks, the tape was threaded fine, and I just used some Caikleen RBR cleaner on the counter roller. Maybe that will help, what do you mean when you say "worn down to the metal"? The rubber lines are about flush with the metal cap that holds the roller in place, is that bad?

No, that is fine. I have seen these that the rubber has turned into tar and the user has cleaned it and scraped it until there was not enough rubber left. The other situation as I mentioned can be dry rubber that is too slick to maintain a constant grip with the tape at FFW and RW speeds.

Ghost added a good observation about component failures do to electronics. It may well be a bad cap or diode.

But to proceed with what we know I would remove the front panel so you can unscrew the counter wheel and blow any dust and grime out of the sprocket on the back of the wheel. Along with spot lubing of critical areas. this is important maintenance to keep this running smoothly.

You need to remove you tape reels of course and the plastic head assembly cover (two screws). You will need to remove all the screws holding the front panel on. There are 6… 3 on each side.

BE CAREFULL NOT TO LOSE THE TINY WASHERS ON THOSE SCREWS!

Now remove the tension arm rollers by unscrewing the caps and gently pulling them off without dropping washers or springs. Next unscrew the cap on the pinch roller (under right reel) and carefully pull it forward and off, again watch for falling washers.

That’s all you need to remove. You don’t need to remove the counter roller or the large guide roller under the right reel because the cover will slip over them.

Now pull the front panel more or less straight up, but be prepared to manipulate a little so that you don’t scratch the heads or snag any wires. Take your time.

With the panel off you can now get your head around the counter roller to see what makes it tick. To remove it just unscrew the cap like the others and gently slide it off. If it has little dust bunnies or grime built up you can blast it with compressed air. Also look for rust or other buildup on the shaft. Make sure the wheel spins freely. If not it may need some buffing and a few drops of 3-in-1 oil.

Keep us posted and feel free to send out emergency distress calls if needed.

-Tim :)

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I ended up taking the TSR-8 into a tech to get the counter fixed and I just got it back and IT STILL DOESN'T WORK! I'm going to deal with the repairman issue on my own but I'd like to try to tackle this fix by myself because I'm a whole state away from that tech now until May. Any other ideas? What would I need to check the electronics? I never tried to go in there and clean it out but the tech said he cleaned the inside of the unit, and he concentrated on the mechanical parts because he said that tascams rarely have electronic issues. But he also said he fixed my recorder! Ugh. Help?!

taperocket said:
Guys this is my aforementioned distress call! Help, I love my recorder!
What specifically did the service work order say the guy did?

As for talking/typing you through a diagnostic trouble shooting session of the printed circuit board that controls the counter, it may be beyond the scope of us here to do that. :o

I can only suggest to get back in touch with your technician and get him take another look at it or give you your money back so you can seek out another repair shop that is more competent.

Sorry. :(

Yeah, he's going to take it back in but I won't be back in Illinois until this summer so I guess I'll have a broken recorder until then. Sucks...I'm going to go through and do the cleaning that Beck suggested this weekend and see if it helps. The recorder advances faster with fast forward/rewind now but when I press RTZ the tape will rewind to zero but it wont return to the correct point on the tape that I zeroed the counter at. I think Beck may be right about this being a mechanical issue, it sounds like the counter roller is a little off somehow. I'll do a cleaning and get back to you, if anything comes to mind in the meantime let me know. Also, what main areas should recieve the 3-in-1 lubrication? Thanks fellas.

Success!!

Hey guys,
Just wanted to let you know that I opened up my TSR-8 today, cleaned up the inside with compressed air, applied to Deox It to the electronic connectors, oiled all of the roller shafts, and cleaned up the sensor and the back of the counter roller (which was full of grease and dust) and I'm having no more counter or RTZ issues! The problem must have been that the sensors were unable to read the alternating black and silver pattern on the back of the counter roller because it was so dirty! As for the technician that charged me $180 to replace the capstan belt and fix this issue, I will be calling him back tomorrow asking for at least half of my money back. If he refuses I will report him to Tascam and the Better Buisness Bureau AND list his name and location here as a warning for others. I feel great, thanks for all your help!

Glad it worked out for you! :)

All the while I was thinking about electronic component failure and I didn't think about the realities of age and dirt build up! :eek: :o

Kudos to Beck! :cool:

Back