Tascam Studio 8 (388)...easiest way in to the belts?

VESSEL2020

Somewhere in Space
Hello my fellow analog friends!!
I haven't posted here in this forum in about 2-3 years now. The past couple years were very much filled with many "bumps" in the road which took me away from my love of recording.
I lost an uncle, both grandparents, as well as my mother and father just last year, and the year before that I got into a bad motorcycle accident. (was not drinking and driving, as I do not drink)
But anyway, I missed coming on here learning from all of you, and reading your stories.
This is my favorite place on the internet.
I hope you are all well and doing fine.

Well, here's my dilemma...
My 388 has been sitting for quite some time up in my hot attic.
I want to get inside to replenish/rejuvenate all the rubber belts, and any other rubber parts I can get at.
Mainly the belts.
I have proper Tascam rubber cleaner.
I want to replenish the belts so that they don't crack or stretch when I turn the 388 on.
I'll eventually be buying new belts as it has not been used for about 3-4 years now, but just want to make sure everything else is up to par when I turn her on.

If anyone could tell me the easiest way of taking the 388 apart just to get at the belts, I'd greatly appreciate it.
I don't want to have to take out any more screws than I have to.
Thanks in advance!!
- Ron

Hey, Ron!

My goodness so sorry about all your heavy hard times these past years. Glad to hear from you.

There is only one belt on the 388; the capstan belt.

Access is via the bottom cover.

1. Tip the 388 on its side
2. Remove all the screws affixing the bottom cover to the chassis
3. Lift away the bottom cover
4. Capstan belt will be readily apparent.

Pretty easy

I've not heard of using rubber cleaner or the like on belts. If the belt is dried or stretched I suspect you're going to need a new one regardless of whatever you treat the belt with. New belts are readily available though from Teac.

Thanks for chiming in Cory!! I was hoping you were still active on here. Good to hear from you!!

Yes, I've used that rubber cleaner quite extensively in the past on several recorders to recondition the belts and clean the rubber pinch roller. It has kept all the belts intact on my 688's, 644, 488mkII, 464, 424's, 246, & 238. I try to recondition them every 6 months if possible. I've never opened my 388 to recondition the belt inside it yet though.
I swear by that rubber cleaner.
It's like liquid gold.
Whenever I see someone selling it on fleabay, I snag it up real quick.
Supposedly, it's illegal in the states now.

Thanks again for making my life easier!!
I knew you'd know right where I should start.
Much appreciated!!

Hope all is well with you and your family.

Also, if anyone has a link to the Studio 8 (388) service manual, I'd greatly appreciate it!!

I can find a link to the service manual for you...but the problem is he one that's online is impossible to read in the parts that matter...schematics and such. I have an official Tascam reprint of the 388 manual for a reasonable price if interested. PM me.

I think if you google Tascam 388.pdf you'll come across a link to it online.

The belt is very easy to change, pick one up from ebay or something. There's many places to get them in the U.S. should be about $12. Don't bother reconditioning.

Back