Tascam series 70 eight track

Granada

Whats the word on the street on these machines?

How do they compare to the Tascam 38 or TSR -8?

I believe this was the first half inch 8 track that Tascam came out with?

Anyone know anything about these machines? I don't really hear much about them on this board.

They go back quite a way. If I recall correctly the Series 70-8 was a console mount machine, with separate electronics and transport, not the "portables" like we are mostly familiar with from the more recent past. They were designed to match up with the old Tascam Series 10 mixing consoles. The Series 70-8 was succeeded by the Tascam 80-8 (I owned the first or second one in Minneapolis). In comparing to the 38 or the TSR-8, the Series 70 would have the better transport, or, at least more heavy duty. The 80-8 also had a better transport than the 38, with much better fast forward and rewind speeds and (I think) better tape handling. The head design wasn't quite up to par and was improved with the 80-8 and improved again in the 38. Head bump was diminished in each successive generation.
http://reel2reeltexas.com/vinTascam70H8a.jpg
http://reel2reeltexas.com/vinTascam70H8c.jpg

Last edited:
Tascam series 70 eight track
How do they compare to the Tascam 38 or TSR -8?

TASCAM 70 series is very old, from the mid 70's vs the TASCAM 38 (1983) and TSR-8 (1989). Many improvements, from head design to electronics happened as the years went by. Stick with more "recent" machines as you stand a better chance of getting a well working unit with perhaps not too many hours.

The 38 and TSR-8 are leaps ahead of the 70 series in every way, especially the TSR/MSR series, which have very sophisticated microprocessor transport control... very consistent handling and easy on tape.

The 70-8 is usable, but probably of more interest to a collector than an artist that wants to start recording with a minimum of hassle.

:)

Beck said:
The 70-8 is usable, but probably of more interest to a collector than an artist that wants to start recording with a minimum of hassle.

...OR! to an artist for whom struggle is the fuel. :D

I dunno about sound quality and reliability of that thing, but it sure looks like it would be fun to record with one of those old beasts.

I know, I think it looks fun to mess with too. There is one in LA right now for 400$, there is also a Tascam 38 listed under the electronics section for 200$. If I lived in LA I would go see if it is "perfect working condition" like it says it is.

Anyone live in LA?

Ill probibly just keep waiting for a phoenix craigslist post for a deal on a Tascam 38.

The 38 and TSR-8 are leaps ahead of the 70 series in every way, especially the TSR/MSR series, which have very sophisticated microprocessor transport control... very consistent handling and easy on tape.

While I agree that the transport controls on the 38 and TSR-8 are better, having some experience with the 80-8 and 38, I can pretty much say with certainty that the transport (as well as the overall mechanics) of the 80-8 is a more rugged design and would last longer. I don't have as much experience with the Series 70 machines, but with what experience I did have I also suspect that those machines would also last longer. I used to haul my old 80-8/DX-8 all over the place for location recordings. I had a custom Anvil case built for it and used to load it in the back of my 1972 Datsun 510 wagon. ;) It weighed a ton, but took the abuse quite well. I wouldn't have attempted that with a 38. Transport wise, at least mechanically, the 80-8 (and probably the Series 70) was closer to the 48 or 58 than the 38. Sound wise, like I said, the 38 (and probably TSR-8) had better designed heads and a smoother low end because of that. When the 38 first came out I was amazed at the price point, until l first saw and played with one and realized how light duty it was in comparison to the 80-8.

When the 38 first came out I was amazed at the price point, until l first saw and played with one and realized how light duty it was in comparison to the 80-8.

I agree wholeheartedly that the TEAC 80-8 / 40-4 are built much better (than the 30 series for example) but the electronics are over 30 years old now, which is about the life span of such and thus picking up a lesser built but "newer" model may be a better idea, be it only for electronics' longevity. But yeah, the 80-8 is built like a tank and those things are still being used successfully.

While I agree that the transport controls on the 38 and TSR-8 are better, having some experience with the 80-8 and 38, I can pretty much say with certainty that the transport (as well as the overall mechanics) of the 80-8 is a more rugged design and would last longer.

The TSR-8 is pretty rugged. But I wouldn't use it on a regular basis for location jobs, even with a ‘72 Datsun. :) It' best kept in the studio. That is the TSR-8, not the Datsun. :D

I’m thinking transport as in tape handling. The TSR-8 is smooth and easy on itself and on tape. That’s one of the things that blew people away when it was introduced… it has microprocessor control of the capstan and reel motors for very low max torque that you normally only find with costly rollerless designs... pretty shocking for the low cost.

It also has ball bearing capstan and tension rollers and a headblock more similar in design to the 48, minus one head of course. I don’t know if the 80-8 will outlast the TSR-8 or not, but I can say the tape used on the TSR-8 will fair better, and the logic controlled transport handles play/stop/rew/ffw transitions very smoothly compared to the 70 and 80 series. Whether brute force of the early machines or modern design of the TSR/MSR will last longer… I dunno.

I dunno about sound quality and reliability of that thing, but it sure looks like it would be fun to record with one of those old beasts.

It was, I've had one for twenty odd years and up until the mid 1990s it was my main recorder. One word comes to mind when I think of that thing, battleship. Maybe its the color grey they chose to paint it, :D or maybe its because it never seemed to go wrong, that thing was built to last. Also it has no ic's, its all discrete electronics so it has a different sound then later 1/2" machines.

Problems with it, servicing it is a pain. You have to lay it out on a bench and fold it open like an acordion to get to the BIAS and eq. It has no auto symul-sync so you have to switch it manually.

I just ran across this thread during my search for more info on the Series 70.
I've just been offered a Series 70 by an old retired musician who wants around $500 for his. The unit looks just like the picture above, but he also has a Tascam 1480 Mixer which I cannot find any info on. I currently run ProTools on a Intel Mac. I thought it might be interesting for some projects to have a reel to reel. I know this is probably a dumb question, but how do you convert the analog reel recording for digital use in ProTools? Before I consider buying it, I just wanted to know what I was getting into (he claims to be the original owner, with only several dozen hours on the machine)
Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated.
Todd

I know this is probably a dumb question, but how do you convert the analog reel recording for digital use in ProTools? Before I consider buying it, I just wanted to know what I was getting into (he claims to be the original owner, with only several dozen hours on the machine)
Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated.
Just play the tape back, and record all 8 tracks into ProTools simultaneously. Do not record them in pairs, it is unlikely to work properly.

To be honest I'd be a bit reluctant about getting a machine that old. But if that's what you want to do, good luck with it!

Thanks for the replies. It does make me wonder if I want to be messing around with a 30+ year old machine. I did want to experiment, especially with drums, analog style. Any recommendations on some newer units?
Thanks

........ but it sure looks like it would be fun to record with one of those old beasts.

No it isn't. I recorded the very 1st album ever done on this unit. It was a royal pain in the ass. The original 80-8 was a big improvement. The 80-8's with the vari-speed capstan motor are not as robust as the original series.

No it isn't. I recorded the very 1st album ever done on this unit. It was a royal pain in the ass. The original 80-8 was a big improvement. The 80-8's with the vari-speed capstan motor are not as robust as the original series.
I don't believe 80-8's ever had a vari speed, other than an optional external box that, I believe, was a variable transformer. The next series in line, the 38, had a vari speed built in, and was not as robust.

You are correct about the series 70. It was not an easy machine to run or do decent punchins with. It's still a classy looking machine though. :D

Back