Tascam porta02 mkII help

winterversion

Hi!

Can anyone help me with an old tascam? I was trying to play a tape back to mix some tracks, but nothing plays. The track meters don't even respond and I'm not hearing anything on the headphones. Power is fine, headphones are ok, and the tape is fine (I played it through my stereo). I checked all my levels and switches, and everything seems to be in order, but still nothing.

Any suggestions?

Assuming there is no user error, meaning everything is switched as it's supposed to be to get sound and meter movement, my only real suggestion is to seek out another unit that you can try out before you buy it...are there any local sellers in your area? Music stores, second hand stores, garage sales?

You didn't say how you came across this unit but I'm going to assume this was yet another ebay special? :o

Better luck next time. :)

Cheers! :)

I've noticed that the most recent line of Tascam Porta's were of dubious quality,...

especially in the lowest-end of the line,... such as the MF-P01 & Porta 02mkII,... which might fail out-of-the-blue from typical normal, average & even gentle use. Failing for what appears to be "no reason". Even failing after a period of no use!

Your specific problem would be difficult to troubleshoot on a BBS, but do your best to verify it & then seek out Tascam Service, or perhaps a working replacement unit.

Good luck.

PS: Sorry if this post was really of no help, whatsoever,... but I'll just close & say that for the several MF-P01's and Porta 02mkII's I've gotten, the majority of them had or developed problems for no apparent reason. That's speaking personally, of course, from my own first hand experience. The good news is that I've had good reliability out of most of my "classic" Tascams, and I'm still a strong Tascam Portastudio enthusiast. With that being said, it sucks when cheap stuff breaks, despite it being used properly & even pampered. :eek: Cheap junk is what it is. However, when these decks run, they are good little units. I dunno if I've just contradicted myself,... but just take it at face value.

Well, I guess I'm not too surprised. It was relatively cheap and it hadn't been used for a long period of time. Do you know if the same phenomenon is true for the 414/424s?

From what I gather,...

the 414mkII and 424mkIII seem to be a bit more robust & reliable than the MF-P01 & Porta 02mkII.

Beware, though, if you are planning to port your old tapes to the new machine,... the 414mkII is a 2X-speed recorder only, but the 424mkIII has dual Normal/High speeds. Therefore, the 414mkII isn't compatible with MF-P01/Porta 02mkII tapes, but the 424mkIII is compatible.

Back